Home Unity

How to make great environments!

Hi all! New user here, so please let me know if I've missed something obvious. I'm very new to working in Blender and Unity - less than a year of experience - but I'm trying to make the transition from doing 2D graphics for games to doing 3D graphics for games. I'm making a LOT of mistakes, and learning bit by bit as I go, but I feel like I'm slowly getting answers to the many, many questions I have.

One thing I'm really struggling with, though, is how to make an actual environment look good. I feel like I have finally got a decent grip on how to make nice props, and I've found some really nice textures and materials to use, but I feel like there's a very big gap in my knowledge for how to actually bring those things together with nice lighting and things and actually make a nice environment to play. Please feel free to assume that I know absolutely nothing, and don't assume that any suggestion you might have is too basic or obvious, as I really am very new to this, and am trying to figure everything out as I go.

Here's an example of a Unity scene I've been working on:

I'm currently using 2 lights for this scene, real time lighting (no baked lighting at all), Unity's post processing stack and the Aura plugin for volumetric lights. Thanks for your time, and thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge! :smiley:

Replies