Home Technical Talk

Fixing color ranges to work with all displays?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
So I had never noticed before, Because I don't think I used enough black to directly notice.. That there is a LOT of strokes visible in the area that is supposed to be black. However this area on my main monitor (Which has a ton more color depth than my side monitors) this appears to be mostly black. 

How do I make sure what I see while im working, Lines up with what I see when I drag this over to another monitor? I haven't been too successful with googling this, My color profile is just the standard RGB 8 bit - IEC61966

Switching off of Srgb profile for my monitor makes it look similar but..dang. How do people typically work with srgb if this is the case? :|

Other than repainting some areas on the second monitor.. :|?

Replies

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went back through all my recent work and noticing that this same thing is happened a bit on all of them.. Just less noticeable.. awh man..
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's nothing to do with the picture. 

One or all of your monitors aren't correctly calibrated. You can either ignore it or buy some calibration hardware. 
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    It's nothing to do with the picture. 

One or all of your monitors aren't correctly calibrated. You can either ignore it or buy some calibration hardware. 
    I remember needing to do this but then took a huge leave of absence from art and all but forgot about it. 
    So even considering this, it has nothing to do with srgb vs not? Because like I said when I turn it to something other than srgb mode it displays the strokes like it does on the non-srgb monitors.. But that can be fixed by calibrating it while in srgb mode as well as calibrating the other monitors to the same profile? (Sorry Im just a n00b)
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changing the profile on your monitor affects the curve that's applied to values in the image when it's displayed - not the image itself. 

Setting them all to the same base ICC profile might well work out with them matching.  What you don't know is whether it'll look right on other screens  

When you calibrate the monitor a profile is created that should be neutral and thus "correct"  - this will be specific to the individual monitor because there are always differences in hardware - even between identical models. 

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Changing the profile on your monitor affects the curve that's applied to values in the image when it's displayed - not the image itself. 

Setting them all to the same base ICC profile might well work out with them matching.  What you don't know is whether it'll look right on other screens  

When you calibrate the monitor a profile is created that should be neutral and thus "correct"  - this will be specific to the individual monitor because there are always differences in hardware - even between identical models. 

So what would be the solution for a digital artist to make content that displays well on most screens? IE If I did color calibrate everything and there were no strokes visible for me; it doesn't guarantee that there wont be fore others?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the fun part.  
    There is no guarantee because almost nobody has a properly calibrated display and devices like phones and TVs are deliberately set up way off from neutral so stuff looks nicer (like having sound processing on a hifi) 

If you calibrate properly you know that you're working at the same sort of values used to set up all the devices color profiles so you stand a far greater chance of your work looking good on a variety of screens
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some good info here further explaining poopipe's point, including a nifty diagram.

https://polycount.com/discussion/137124/bother-with-calibrating-display
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all, I will try to spend some of my extra cha-ching on a color calibrator for my monitors, Or see if maybe someone local has one. Definitely need to do this! That diagram is super helpful
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Mr.Moose said:
    Thanks all, I will try to spend some of my extra cha-ching on a color calibrator for my monitors, Or see if maybe someone local has one. Definitely need to do this! That diagram is super helpful
    How old are your monitors? If they are oldish then you should save your money. Monitors wear out over time. And even with two new monitors, if they are different brands, it’s nigh impossible to get the colors to match between them.

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster said:
    Mr.Moose said:
    How old are your monitors? If they are oldish then you should save your money. Monitors wear out over time. And even with two new monitors, if they are different brands, it’s nigh impossible to get the colors to match between them.

My main monitor is only about a year old I believe