Home Technical Talk

[Zbrush] - Help with mesh separating at edges

obloquy
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
obloquy polycounter lvl 5
Hey,

I'm making my first character so bare with me if I'm a bit slow.  I've made some a marvelous designer vest and exported it to zbrush, the settings were 'unweld' on MD so I had more control in adding details to the poly groups on the 'seam' areas (following Patrick Anderson's awesome workflow https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gQqrG).  

My question is, when I export my garment to zbrush and add a few sub divs and then do a quick "polish by crisp edges" (or by groups) on a low setting, everything looks fine (pic 1).  However when I drop to the lowest sub div, the two halves are separated with a big gap (pic2)... yet when I go back up to the highest subdivision, the gap is closed and looks fine ready for detailing etc.... is this normal when working with poly groups so close to each other?  Will it cause problems if I were to bake high poly to low poly later?  Or do I just close the gap when at the lowest sub div with the move brush and not worry?

Might be a pointless question, but not entirely sure... Any help :)

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you don't need to bounce between the two programs at this stage, I'd just use Tool: Geometry: Weld Points before subdividing in zbrush. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    If you are using this model as a hipoly to bake from, lower subD levels in zBrush dont really matter. If your detailing of the garment forces the seams apart and you cant avoid or repair the gaps then make a duplicate of the tool and do what cryrid said: weld the points (after removing internal polys) and project the repaired tool over the hipoly model at its highest subdivision.

Cheerio
  • obloquy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obloquy polycounter lvl 5
    Hey thanks for the replies Cryrid and Kanga, it worked perfectly what you suggested.  In the past I've always had problems with marvelous to zbrush weld points etc hence I wanted to ask for a better method.  I suppose alternatively I could've merged the patterns together in marvelous to avoid splitting and still keep polygroups.  Many thanks!