Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Fight Animation for demo reel

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
The title pretty much says it all! I am looking to get feedback on this piece, I would consider it around the 2nd spline pass or so, I personally love the timings but I know you can become blind while looking at your own work over and over so thought I would ask for more opinions.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/3d94c2931ce8/#496287

Here is the reference I used however I have changed the timings up to make things that little bit snappier in 3D. Timestamp 8.07- 8.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvkExGuEak4&t=500s

Replies

• pascalie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pascalie polycounter lvl 2
    Hello guy
    for me you need to improv you jump and landind
    the pose and the tinming of jump a landind don't work
    but the differents punch at the begining is good
    nice animation
    keep work man
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, good start! For general timing feedback notes one thing I think could help is to hold the anticipation of the punches for slightly longer and decrease the amount of frames between the antic and the hit so it has more impact. 

Another timing note would be to vary the timing on the punches as they all happen at the same timing right now. Maybe have 2 hits, then 2 quicker hits, pause, then the final hit (or something similar to vary it up).

Check your arcs too on things like punches and jumps. After the end hit I'd hold the attacker in the air slightly longer and have him go up and down in an arc as currently it is a little too linear. One thing that happens to both characters is the air is they seem to hit a wall and come down instantly rather than being held in the air longer and gradually gaining velocity to come back down.

Check out this video for timing with punches. See from 0.20 how the hits are varied in timing and how impactful they feel

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @_adamturnbull and @pascalie thank you both so much for that feedback! I have added a new version to the same link in the OP. The punches have been re-timed  1-2 Pause 1-2 timing with the first 2 punches been very snappy and quick then the other 2 been slightly slower and heavier feeling. Definitely feels better. 

I have then gone back to the jump and hang time for the secondary character adding a curve to smooth out the up and down motion of each. According to our friend the editable motion trail the arcs are now much nicer so hopefully that comes across! I also went ahead and slightly tweaked the posing of the upper cut anticipation and added a subtle arc to the secondary characters rise/fall. 

As always feedback is appreciated, I am looking to get this finished in the next day or two so any last points to push it that bit more are always appreciated. 
  • dondrapichrust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dondrapichrust triangle

holy sh*t, this is good

how did you make those smear frames, you just manually deformed mesh by vertexies?

how you did the punch rain at 24sec, she has 3 arms :D?

cool idea with marking vfx like smoke/dust with simple shapes, definetly will try that

are those your rigs?

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish that was mine! Was just an example that Adam linked to help with my timings on the original animation in the post.
  • dondrapichrust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dondrapichrust triangle

my bad, didn't read carefouly :D

I've added some remarks to your animation in syncsketch, they are to the 1st version because i didn't saw new one, but there are still valid, hope they are helpfull :)

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. To answer a question you asked I tried to stick to the reference quite rigidly so I started the combo from a previous hit reaction within the reference hence why the character starts in an reaction pose. A lot of good feedback there though so thank you!