Home Career & Education

Rigging Dojo

prinn
null
Offline / Send Message
prinn null
I was looking into signing up for their Rigging 101 course this Fall, but I'm having problems looking for any reviews or opinions. There are also a few other questions that I wanted to ask if anyone would be willing to share.

Has anyone on here gone through any of their courses? What did you think of them?

How much time did you dedicate each day to coursework?

Would the Rigging 101 course be doable with someone who has no production experience with rigging?

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I'm currently going through their character rigging 101 course and I highly recommend it. I'm about halfway through the coursework and have learned a ton. They have an internal forums that have all of their past students, many who went on to films and games. You get lifetime access to the course too.

I would recommend a a basic understanding of Maya, minimum. My personal rigging knowledge was "good enough" in that I could use rebuilt rigs and basic skinning setups to get the results I wanted. However they teach you the hows and whys of everything so you will learn new things as you go.

I spend a couple hours a every other day on the course material and assignments and even more time on weekends. I'm admittedly a little behind as I had to do some crunching and have to take rest periods for my arm, but they aren't super strict about deadlines if you have things in your life you need to take care of. The stuff they give every week is rather information dense and they are open to answering any questions you have

I would be happy to answer other questions you have.
  • prinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prinn null
    Thanks for answering the questions that I had. The biggest thing I was concerned with was the amount of coursework you had to do as I have about 2-3 hours a night to myself and wasn't sure if that would be enough time.

One other question that I wanted to ask: Should I learn MGear before starting the course? Looking through their curriculum for the first week or so, it looks like they use MGear for a lot of their rigging. I've never used an autorigger since the tutorials and whatnot that I've watched in the past always built a rig from scratch.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    You don't have to, you learn the things you need to know in the course. I never touched mGear before this course, they teach you how to navigate and use it pretty early on.