Home Technical Talk

Whats the difference between polygon and triangles and..

Hey,for a game which one is preferred polygon or triangles and how to do that. i am using unity right now.
Whats the count of polygon or triangles of assets for aoe like strategy game

Have a good one

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Only tri count matters because game engines and gfx cards draw triangles. When you hear polycount or polygon count assume that it’s the tri count they are talking about.

I worked on Age of Empires 3 and Age of Empires Online. Our characters were less than 400 tris with max 14 bones. And buildings were 2K to 4K tris. The challenge with buildings was they had their destruction states as well. 

We didn’t use Unity, we had a custom game engine. In fact Halo Wars on Xbox 360 used the same engine.
  • Steamy_Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steamy_Steve triangle
    baghill said:

Hey,for a game which one is preferred polygon or triangles and how to do that. i am using unity right now.
    Whats the count of polygon or triangles of assets for aoe like strategy game

Have a good one

Any closed shape with at least 3 angles (not that it could have any less) technically is a polygon.
    In 3D modeling you'll read about triangles, quads and n-gons. Anything above 4 vertices (quad) is an n-gon ("n" number of vertices), and is pragmatically bad for game engines because they dont know how to cut them into triangles.

For your convenience (edge-loops selection, for example) always model in quads. Only cut a quad into two triangles when the 3D modeling software or the game engine cut a "non-planar quad" (when one of the vertices is not on the same plane with the others) in the wrong direction, giving odd "folding" results.