Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning them Unreal Ropes

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
CptAlbatross polycounter lvl 4
Yo Polypeeps,

In an effort to bump my environment art abilities, I'm recreating the Zeyne Emre Residence apartment, built by Fields Studio. I have a layout of the location built with some blocked in assets, but for now here's a small prop of a modem I've just textured. I'll drop more on here as I complete them.

And here's the textureless wires if anyone was actually interested in that.

Comments, questions, and critiques are always appreciated!

Replies

• CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to try to be a good boy about posting regular updates. Here's some more screenshots of assets and block-ins. I'm testing assets and shaders in Unreal's photorealistic demo for the time being. I plan on using a similar lighting setup in my scene.

Comments, questions, and critiques appreciated.
  • CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo polypeeps,

I've come with an update. Turns out blindly groping in the dark is a bad way to learn software, so I've turned to some tutorials for help. Goal was to get familiar with the basic features and assemble a decent understanding of lighting and the workflow for blocking in an environment with BSP brushes. That being said, I think I might stick to Max for blocking in, being as how I can't export BSP out of Unreal and keeping BSPs in the final product produces some undesirable results in lighting. Still, it's neat that you can tile the UVs on them in engine. Lighting could be better and there's a lack of definition in all the materials, especially the glass. But not bad I guess for a first serious attempt. Maybe. Comments and critiques welcomed.

• CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might as well bump this for giggles. Added a fire place and "learned" about particles. I guess. Anyways. Kind of done with this room and will move up to something a little more advanced.

• CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's up polypeeps.

It's yah boi, DJ Skinnypenis, back at it with another scene. This time I'm going to be tackling this hallway setup with the help of Alex Galuzin's Corridor tutorial series. Goals for this are to use as much of these modular pieces before resorting to custom geo, as well producing a more cohesive polished setting than previous attempts. I've got the room blocked out with BSP  brushes and am in the process of replacing them and detailing with static meshes. I do have a mood board setup to give me ideas for structures and shapes, but I'm mostly just feeling this out and trying to flex some creative muscles.

Looking at this now, those grates have to go, or there's needs to be a little bit more geometry there to breakup the large flat surfaces.

Plants are a nice tough but it might be nice to mock up a different set to foliage. Something a bit fuller maybe.

Hard to tell because I foolishly decided to bake lights so early in the build, but there's a doorway leading down a set of stairs.

In the staircase room.

Looking backup into the main hallway from the staircase room.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work so far :)
    One crit, the wood in your scene looks really shiny, kinda wet. I'd tone down the glossiness a bit, maybe make the centre of the planks a bit more shiny. At the moment it looks like quite a hard transition between between the really glossy edges and the dull inside. 
  • CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Doxturtle, I agree, especially with home much wear is on the edges of the boards. I'll keep that in mind when I tackle the Zeymre Residence again.

Here's an update from today's progress. Still replacing BSP brushes and messing around with early prop lighting.

• CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress on this. Finally got all the BSP brushes out and everything lit on a first pass. Really glad I was able to finishing dressing the access and elevator rooms. I'm still not sold on some of the formations in here, like the structural columns and I guess the props in the reception area of the hallway. I'll play around with them a bit later one. For now I'll do another sweep with lighting to address some dark unfinished areas and then start applying better materials to the flat grey surfaces from my own mod set. I'd like to hear from you guys and what can be improved at this stage. Let me know what you think.

Elevator room that can be accessed from the stairs in the first screencap.
  • CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, going call this one in. Good job everyone, great work! Now on to the next one.