Home Adobe Substance

Odd shading in Painter

polycounter lvl 6
Online / Send Message
TannedBatman polycounter lvl 6

Originally I thought it was ambient occlusion with the other object but then I merged them and it still happened.

Replies

• shunen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shunen node
    Same thing happened to me a lot, I figured out it was because of UVs. Either its streching, or you probably have overlapping UVs. It looks smooth though?

Just to be sure, if you are not doing the high poly-low poly bake, select everything and harden every edge. If it gets fixed, try to problem fix from there by failing.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Looks like an unwelded verts to me. Can you check the problem area got few verts on the same location? Just marquee select it and see if there's more then 1 verts there.
  • TannedBatman
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Im not doing high low cus this is only for a render.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    For whatever reason your vertex normals are not transferring to painter. Check your export settings and file format.
  • TannedBatman
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I dont think there is an option to do that but I have been looking into normals and seen that they affect the shading.  The same just happened on another asset and noticed that it seems to happen where lots of edges connect to one vertex.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Are you exporting fbx or obj?

Fbx is the correct answer 
  • TannedBatman
    Options
    Online / Send Message
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fbx export has options for exporting normals, binormals etc. Make sure they're all ticked - I'd expect different issues if that want working though  

In all likelihood maya is being a dick.  Make sure history is cleared, unlock your normals, redo your hard/soft edges and clear history again before export.  If that doesn't fix it post back
  • TannedBatman
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I can only find split per-vertex normal's for an export. As you to redoing my hard and soft edges. Basically I softened the area which was affected then went around and hardened using mesh display > harden edge. This resulted in it looking fine in Maya but gave the shading back after I exported both with no export options and with normal and bi-normal. I also get this error with another of my model which when I export with split per vertex normal and bi-normal's is ticked comes up with this. 

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, sorry.  You don't want the split per normal thing ticked  - I forget it's there. 
    At this point I'd export my mesh from painter and look over it in maya for split edges, in welded verts,  smoothing errors etc.  That might point you at the issue. 

If you want to post the mesh up here I can give it a look over - we know fbx into painter works and we know maya is a disaster area in terms of mesh handling so in all likelihood there's something hidden and  wonky about the model

• TannedBatman
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lJ_FIVNtNhjpZJkMa3JmFYTuiZRWdImd Here is the file. I  don't really understand what it is im looking for but I have tried everything to my knowledge. 
  • TannedBatman
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Well actually this is odd because I just read online to copy and paste the model. And now it looks fine in substance painter. I have no idea what that did and not sure if you do but that's great if its fixed. That only worked for the gun though :/ not too bad since I can hide it on the vehicle.