Home Unreal Engine

I have a question about morph target in unreal engine

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
kanamo09 polycounter lvl 4
i want know about morph target in unreal engine
There are both advantages and disadvantages of different? if compare to use joint animate face charater?

thank you

Replies

• Zablorg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zablorg polycounter lvl 6
    To really get the advantages/disadvantages of one over another you need to understand how each operates.

A morph target will linearly interpolate/extrapolate between one set of vertex position(s) and another. This can be good for some kinds of animation, like facial expressions, or making sure a character's joints deform organically (or just don't self-intersect) in their bone-based animation. Or, I could see it being used for organic looking pulses, like breathing, or a puffer-fish inflating/deflating. There are plenty of other examples, these are just off the top of my head.

So, they're very good at making very specific dynamic adjustments to a model, because you can define the end points exactly.

But, because a morph target is a linear traversal from one position to another, it's very bad at representing rotations, like a jaw opening, or any sort of limb movement. That's where you want to use bones.

For instance, swinging your shoulder so that you start with your arm pointing upwards and end with your arm pointing downwards. If you represent that as a morph target, it won't sweep the arc- your arm will just shrink down to nothing at your shoulder and then extend downwards to your hip.

I hope this explaination is helpful, even without visual examples.