Home Technical Talk

xGEN - Massive Rigging Paint Weights Fail :(

angiemon
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
angiemon polycounter lvl 2
Hey there guys!

I've just registered here to ask a question but I've been a silent reader for years and I really appreciate the community :)
If this post is redundant and the question has already been answered (although I think it's sort of "profound" I deeply apologize, and you can totally delete/move/whatever you do here my thread :)

Now to my problem :

TL,DR: I need to paint skin weights, but have two meshes (the main one and the one with the areas where the hairs were gonna be, all over the body because fur) with different UVs! Now I try to figure out how to not pain-in-the-ass-ly paint the same skinweights twice!

Longer, detailed story:
I've been doing a character from scratch, Concept, Sculpting, Retopo; UVs, Baking, Texturing, and I did xGen as well. It's a little furry dude with whom I used xGen.

The character itself has one UDIM and the areas where the hairs are gonna be are kept really small and mirrored (meaning, the UVs of the left and right side are ofter each other etc. to save space)

Now I've extracted the faces where the hairs were gonna be and did xGen on that Mesh.
The thing is I unfolded the UVs again, because it didn't work before unfolding.

Now everything is set u and looks nice and everything, also in rendering, but now I conquered a huge problem:

When I rig it, or use a quick rig (it's a major assignment for my school, which I wanted to do extra awesome for my portfolio, however for the assignment date I wanted to hand in just a render and do the rigging/animationg afterwards) I realize that the skin weights suck, because he is such a tiny fellow with really short legs and arms.
However, I can only paint skin weights on at a time :(
and the UVs are not matching, so I wasn't able to pose this dude for my assignment, and wonder how I will ever be able to rig and animate him?

- I can't transfer the skin weight map onto the other mesh, UVs not matching.
- some vertices have been moved (in the "real" mesh)
- I don't want to redo the whole groom, it took some work and I really like it :( it still needs work, but I'd very much like to work on it
- for Game engines, this is not a problem because I just export the curves to nVidia hairworks, right? What about density maps? and do I need to convert the old xGen to the new one and then export those guides, right?

has anyone any idea what I can do? :(

I already had the idea to merge the parts of the mesh that the hair geo is missing to the hair geo and just rig the hairgeo (with the former missing parts attached) but I'm preeeeetty sure this wont work?
Anyway that just would have worked for render animation, I don't know about game engine animation (in case you're wondering, the character looks nice with smooth preview and has like ~8000 polys, so yes I wanted to use it for rendering and game engine)

This has been a super long, unstructured and whiney post, but I still hope somebody might be able to help me?

I'd really appreciate it :)

Thanks you all so much!

have a nice evening

Replies

• angiemon
    Offline / Send Message
    angiemon polycounter lvl 2
    Edit: Solved, I think! A friend told me just to copy the skin weights!? I thought it was UV based, but apparently it kind of works like baking? the skin weights of the vertices get transferred to the nearest ones.