Home Unreal Engine

Damaged Fuselage Metal - Master Material

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
FULGORE greentooth
Hey
Thought I'd share something I ended up making in preparation for some aircraft panel work - a Master Material that handles the base material (painted metal), tiling panel patterns, and Vertex Color-based damage.

ArtStation

Getting this working was less fuss, and took fewer iterations than I expected. It all just depends on a few HeightLerp nodes which receive Vertex Color input and a few tiling grayscale BlendMasks - both at different Contrast/Power levels for each HL. The softer-contrast "Burn" HeightLerp (BlendMask A) strips away the paint (non metalness), darkens the albedo, ups the roughness, and overlays a strong Crumple normal map, and the high-contrast HeightLerp (BlendMask B) at the bottom of the graph controls the Masked Opacity.

After all the functionality is working I'll be making stripped-down versions so not each mesh needs the most expensive MM Instance with absolutely all of the options.

E.g. for a mesh that will be intact, I'll have a version that doesn't have the damage, or even use Masked. But to be fair, this full-fat version isn't even too bad. You'd just have to make sure you don't have too much surface area with holes - therefore if anyone's doing something similar, roughly cut out the main damage in geometry before proceeding (obviously not really feasilbe if you want a wall to go from fully intact to perforated, but oh well):

This tutorial was super useful in making the "crumpled" effect. The "guts" underneath, as explained in the breakdown slide, are their own thing - but the textures are fairly small and definitely re-usable for all kinds of instances where you'd want this Material setup.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Cool. I did something similar once but without the geometry cutout hehe... There is one thing that could be improved in my opinion. The transition between the crumpled area and the flat panel is fully hard so the normal transition is weird. I think you should use a soft mask to blend the crumpled one in. Great stuff though.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Obscura said:
    Cool. I did something similar once but without the geometry cutout hehe... There is one thing that could be improved in my opinion. The transition between the crumpled area and the flat panel is fully hard so the normal transition is weird. I think you should use a soft mask to blend the crumpled one in. Great stuff though.
    Hey, thanks :) If I'm lucky the transition between intact and damaged might be pretty easy to tweak - I'll need to go back to this and fix some things anyway, so I'll see what I can do while I'm in there (the way I blend metalness in there needs to be adjusted so it will still work with a Parameter controlling the Paint Color). I'm manipulating the VC input for the various Lerps with Power nodes, so some adjusting of those exponent values might be enough to soften here and there.

And I spend a lot of time around certain tech artists at work who are filled with uncontrollable rage if they see any unnecessary overdraw, so I've picked up some good habits :P