Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

VR gun

node
Offline / Send Message
Kainkun node
I made a weird gun with a VR scope. I'm still new to modeling and texturing game assets. Any critique would be appreciated.

model

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    There's definitely opportunity to reduce the polygonal count on this.  I would recommend optimizing it.

Do you have time to redesign this?  Definitely looks like a gun this time and slightly better designed from your cyberpunk gadget before, but this feels like it needed more time in the concepting stage. 

It doesn't feel well thought out.

What makes this a weird gun and what  is a VR scope?

Your detailing right now has not been given enough love.  If you notice, your edgewear is consistent ALL across most of the gun, when it's clear in real life examples that certain areas of objects get more damaged than not.  It's like a car: it's highly unlikely the roof of one will be mroe  damaged than the bumpers.  So why would the scratches on the roof be as consistent as it is on the numpers?

You need to go back in an specify and tighten up where you're putting scratches, dents, and kinks, and don't just slap it across areas or do nothing to tighten up a procedurally laid out one.

Is there a reason why the viewfinder is at an angle?

Is that stock behind the grip meant for the forearm or shoulder?

What references were you using when you were modeling and texturing this?
  • Kainkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    Thanks for always helping me :) Do you know what's the best way to lower poly count? I'm not sure since I've been modeling with the subdivision style.

It's just personal stuff so I can work on it more. Yeah, I was just making it as I went so I guess it isn't too cohesive. 

The name of the gun is really important to me but I just called it weird because it's not shaped like a traditional gun. And I was messing with the idea of having the scope be goggles like a VR headset.

That makes sense. I think I'll just paint away some of the scratches then.

The viewfinder is at an angle because I think the user would tilt their head to look through it.

It was originally for the shoulder but I realized way too late that the proportions didn't make sense so I tried to form it to be for the forearm.

Since I was just modeling as I go I didn't use any references. I probably should. Any tips on using references for totally unique things? I tend to copy too much when I use references.

Thanks again :smile:
  • Kainkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    I accidentally replaced the sketchfab model instead of making a new one so you can see my revision with the same link.
    I've tried getting rid of wear in crevices that didn't make sense and I've added more scratches to more exposed areas. I'm not sure if the changes are too subtle but there should be more variety of wear.

here's some side by side comparisons of the changes I made. (Left is my first one and the right is my new one)

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You can lower polycounts by hand optimizing the model.  Merge verts, delect unnecssary edges, etc.

The design isn't cohesive.  You needed to spend more time concepting it.  Things like you saying "It was too late to change the shoulder stock, so I tried making it a forearm stock" says to me you're not spending enough time designing and you're more committed to popping a model out.  Make rough sculpts.  Make thumbnail sketches.  Spend time making concept art before committing to an imagined idea.

Using reference for totally unique things can be done on the basis of only using certain parts of a reference for certain parts of your model.  You don't need to use the whole reference or have the whole reference be perfect.  Pick and choose as you need to.

You copying a reference too much sounds way better than this self-designing-too-quickly for now.  Aiming for known render targets can help your art look better.

It's good you spent time refining your texturing

Have you thought about modeling after a real life weapon?
  • Kainkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    Thanks, I think I'm gonna move on to another project since there's a lot more I need to work on towards the beginning of the stages. ill keep all of that in mind. I'll probably model after a real weapon next :)