Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Adding your own Decals to Megascans library?

Nuna
node
Offline / Send Message
Nuna node
Can you Add your own Decals to Megascans library?

Thanks for all the hard work!

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Yep, just add all of the prerequisite maps via a custom import from Mixer and you should be good to go!
  • B_P_L
    Offline / Send Message
    B_P_L greentooth
    Hi, I know this is an old thread - but unless I'm missing something, the problem wasn't solved and I'd love to know a way to do this if it's possible:

As far as I can tell, Mixer only allows you to create custom surfaces, not decals - it doesn't offer a way to bring in your opacity/mask map which is pretty essential for creating and using decals. 

I've found a way to trick Bridge/Mixer into allowing you to use your own Decals - but it's a total pain and it's not perfect; duplicate one of your proper Megascans decals onto your desktop for example, and replace all the maps with your own, then (and this is the painful part) you need to edit the .json file and use 'find and replace' to replace all references to the original decal's map filenames etc with your own. (Notepad++ makes it slightly easier).

So, yeah - if Quixel could make this a bit easier I'd really, really appreciate that. I create my own decals for my Mixer surfaces (very easily, with Quixel Suite in fact) quite a bit and it would make my life so much easier if Mixer made it as easy to create a custom decal as it is for creating a custom surface....

...Please.

Again, apologies if I've missed something and this is actually possible....

Cheers,
    B.
  • Zimnel
    Yep, just add all of the prerequisite maps via a custom import from Mixer and you should be good to go!
    I tried doing it this way creating the needed maps but I can only import full custom materials and the Mixer is treating them as such. I can't add them as  a decal or an Atlas, 
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'm pretty sure something changed in the builds in the past few months that prevents decal import. We should be able to allow this again in the near future in another update.
  • hghtch
    Offline / Send Message
    hghtch node
    I wrote an Importer Script, availible here: https://github.com/hghtch/QuixelAtlasImporter

• melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    @hghtch Thanks for sharing this. 
    Tried it but I am getting this at the end:
    -Failed to create directories. Check permissions and delete previously created directories.

Not sure what the issue is. Library path is blank at the end.
    Hoping quixel makes it possible for custom decals/atlas to be used. 

EDIT: No worries, used @B_P_L 's technique.
    Just found out atlases cannot be scattered in Mixer. From my googling, this is planned by the Mixer devs. Looking forward to it. To the devs, Keep up the great work.
  • hghtch
    Offline / Send Message
    hghtch node
    @melviso Glad you sorted it out, if you need help with it still some time, I can take a look again. It was a weekend project a long time ago so I'd have to get into it again. I stopped using Mixer for the most part and switched to Substance Designer - there is a good bridge plugin to import quixel bridge content into designer, and there you have very powerful tools for texture blending, masks, and atlas scattering. I can just recommend it! Cheers
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    @hghtch Thanks 
    No worries. Cheers.