Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Zbrush WIP] Organic sculpt

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Slassh polycounter lvl 2
Hi everybody ! I would like to have feedback if possible on my debut in organic sculpture. I started to peel a lot of books and anatomical videos in the first place on the face. Here are some results, I still have a lot of difficulty on the different groups of muscles.
4 work at leat

http://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=18/34/n6ou.jpg 
http://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=18/34/iyvd.jpg 
http://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=18/34/62rq.jpg
http://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=18/34/oooz.jpg

I try to first work the parts apart and then make a clean face. Thank you for your reading and your valuable advice, bye!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Might want to use the insert image tool to get thos images to pop up as thumbnails.
  • Stefmon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefmon polycounter lvl 8
    TLDR:: If you just get some turn around renders and post the images in the post, you'll get better feedback. Do studies, use real world reference and keep going. Also books.

Hey, its a good start! The first bust has interesting shapes, add in some shoulders and start working on the shoulder girdle to see where it goes. Check out the first few posts in dis thread about putting in shoulders. The last bust is more expressive but may benefit from moving the mouth down and figuring out what the jaw is doing. Understanding realism helps with stylisation. For your busts I would recommend posting them as standard turn-around from each perspective, as this makes looking at the model as a whole easier.

You've got a combination of more and less detailed things. Do some anatomical studies but also sculpt from real world reference (people) with the anatomy books as a support. A sculptor told me once that some days he just sculpts knees all day just so he knows how they look and work. 

Which books are you looking through? This one is good for Zsculpting process and has some great anatomy breakdowns. This one is good to actually read as it explains fairly well how the skeleton and muscles actually fit together and work (the book is old so the last few sections are about ethnicity and totally nonsense). This last one is great referance for the generic muscle and bone structures, it has really clear images but may be overwhelming and the previous two are better starting points. 
    Also, I just found these two (1) and (2) that may be good for face structure and anatomy, but I have not yet read them myself.
  • Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Brian "Panda" Choi
    I thought that the formatting will not be good, as much for me :sweat:

@Stefmon
    Thank you very much for your answer, I worked by small area because to start part make a whole face is rather hard for me, I started carved organic a few days ago. I still have trouble knowing when to really subdivide. I'm going to work on the muscles, and especially to order the book of Stephen Rogers Peck. Thank you again for your help, I will post clean and vignette for the next, if possible one with a polpaint for the different part of muscle. Bye!

• Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Hey little update, I started working on a skull to start from the ground up. For the moment it is a proportion and some early details. Here are some results !

Here, I wanted to know if I was on the right road to continue or if there were things to change. I used skull ref but not for the bottom :s
    Thank you !
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What was your skull reference?

• Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    What was your skull reference?

That was this Panda 

That sculpt is bad at this point ? :s
  • Stefmon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefmon polycounter lvl 8
    Sculpt is fine, just keep working on it. What I can pick out is that the Nasal bone is a bit squashed and that the temporal line pinches at the front, rather than arching. The temporal line comes out of the side of the orbit and literally just makes a backwards arch across the side of the skull. It's like a loop made form the zygomatic (cheek) and brow, starting from the ear and coming almost all the way round. This gets filled in with muscle that goes towards the jaw. Also look at how the Maxillia (teeth root area) comes out of the face and how the brow has an indent. Below is a page from peck that might be useful.

For when to subdivide: start as low as you can, then detail as far as that resolution will take you and subdivide only when you feel you want more detail. That skull resolution is a good one for when still sculpting primary and some secondary forms. Don't worry about getting super detailed straight away. The tertiary surface details 
    are for the end. 
    Goodstuff, keep goin! 

p.s. in Zbrush you can press Shift + S to snapshot the model on the canvas multiple times and then save the Doc image. That's how you can easily fit turnarounds on one sheet. Press Ctrl+N to clear the canvas of any snapshots.
  • Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you very much Stefmon for your help, I will correct the different parts that do not match, after zbrush I tend to go on my imagination rather than follow a reference.
    Yet I have pureref it's not for lack of not see them haha. I will try to really focus on the references and change all that now.

Thank you again for the time you take to answer me it's really cool helps me a lot.
  • Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Small update I have moved some edge and add some detail. Reworked the proportion.
    Thanks !
  • Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    A another small update I have add the jaw ready to make the teeth ! 

see u soon ! :)
  • Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Last update for the skull tonight ! 

• Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Update: I start my first sculpture of body, for the moment I started with the back I will then make the face of the body.

For now I have trouble building muscle and find the technique, we will see what happens afterwards!
  • Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Update some new stuff !
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This all seems sort of scatter brained in terms of what you're trying to get better at.  Unless you're treating this like a sketchbook?

• Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Is a sketchbook Brian, some update of dayli train

• Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Update: I wanna try to retopo this now ^^

• Slassh
    Options