Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Dragon Mountain

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
Helloo!

So, I've started this project and I'd like to finish it. So I'm going to try and post my WIP here to help force myself into working on this project.

Ideally, I'd like to have it finished before October, so I've given myself about 5-6weeks.

So far I've looked a lot at lizard (komodo dragons specifically) and marvelled at how many similarities are between human anatomy and animal anatomy.

So this was my first attempt, trying to decide what I wanted to create beyond "A Dragon"
I was looking up some youtube videos of dragon miniatures made out of clay and got inspired by this one -->
https://youtu.be/Nl9hRJRMecs

I then decided to quickly photobash something together, coming up with this

And this is what I have sculpted so far

Replies

• Gail_Blitzy
    Offline / Send Message
    progress so far - trying to think what expression/feeling to give the head. Currently he's just rocking "mouthful of teeth"

• Stefmon
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefmon polycounter lvl 7
    Yo, the pose amd silhouette is pretty cool. You posted this a bit ago so I guess it's a bit further now. It's looking neat though. Something I notice is the body to head connection could be emphasised by having the neck blend into the bottom of the mouth a bit (if you know what I mean?).  Also it's a posed model, so when the head gets more detailed you could pose it with an expression. Just suggestion. Throw on an update when it starts getting further along :open_mouth:

p.s. remembered your post when I found this Pin 
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments Stefmon, it's really appreciated!

My plan was to give it a bit of an expression, yeah. Need to decide what expression now, angry or happy.

And thanks for the pin, it really helped explain your suggestion.

Got a bit side tracked by the very important task of sitting down and playing games (:P)
    Added some wrinkle detail and rough details on the mountain to try and give scale.

next steps
    --> more detail on the stand
    --> add a twist to the body and wings
    --> add expression
    --> look up easy way to add scale details
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Random update -->

Made myself a rough guide of where to sculpt scales. Thinking of making a custom brush. Been looking at traditional sculpts of dragon scales, and it looks like they've made a custom tool and just taken time to scupt the detail in

Took a screenshot of my dragon's head and stuck it in photoshop to explore some possible expression options.

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    His "happy" and "sad" editions are really funny :p
  • Stefmon
    Offline / Send Message
    I dig the happy one :lol: Angry is neat too.
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Got distracted by Inktober and didn't really have time to work on this 3D Dragon project.

When I went back to it was having a look and saw the head from the front and it looked GOD aweful.

So went back to the drawing board and took reference from a more realistic dragon and this it what I got -->

Going to add a bit more detail to the horns
  • Stefmon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey that is looking way better. The head is defiantly more interesting.
    I see the teeth are block solid atm. They still look really neat though.
    If you make them individual, try to make them the same size/direction as on the blockout teeth.
    You could even place the teeth into the blockout teeth and then remove the blockout.
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion Stefmon - I'd gone for a solid block so I didn't have to model the interior of the mouth. But i might give you suggestion a try and match up individual teeth to the solid mesh.

Done a bit of work on the base and gonna go back to the scales (that's gonna be a big job, and I'm not looking forward to it).