Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Office Days (WIP)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Awroecreative polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys! I felt I've built up the courage to post my scene to you guys for the feedback, a while back I started working on recreating Jonas De Ro's concept piece office days for my portfolio as I loved the challenges it represented.

I also decided to change some parts over to make it my own, we still have plenty to add and maybe change so please if you have any feedback or additions you think I could potentially add please don't hesitate in telling me!

You will also notice the scene maybe darker than the reference but this is because the aim was to make the scene at night time rather than the daytime, but the lighting is subject to change!

Many thanks!

Original concept by Jonas De Ro

You may notice the bookcase is a little different here, this is for two reasons, firstly I had a bit of difficulty finding the reference for the bookcase in question and secondly when I tried modeling the bookcase from the angle in the concept it turned out wrong so I decided to opt for a smaller antique styled bookcase. 

My question to you guys before I continue is would you leave the cabinet as it is (even if it differs greatly from the concept) or would you change it? 

its a question I've been asking my self for a little while now.

Please note the table on the right is going to have a texture change very soon as a realize now that is a different material entirely!

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Awroecreative, looks like a nice project :)

I would try to stay true to the original Proportions.
    The concept has lots of vertical lines (like windows going almost floor to ceiling, getting picked up by trims), which is something to be conscious of. If you take too much of this away the room might feel different.
    In your reference the pattern on the left floor looks like circuits, which matches the general setting. In the 3D-scene the proportions of these elements have changed so much, they don't give that reference anymore but could be a random pattern instead.

While it looks nice on it's own, I am not to sure if the cabinet on the left looks Art Nouveau enough.
    I feel the the left side is generally missing some of the tech elements present in the concept, which makes it a little disconnect.

I think the lampshades would diffuse the light more, right now those points are very bright and swallow all textures.

The normal-maps on the wall-patterns look a tad strong.

Good luck :)
  • Awroecreative
    Offline / Send Message
    This is exactly the feedback I was looking for so thank you!

To meet your first point, when working on the walls I was unsure how far the windows went down to the skirting board, this was especially difficult to read when you look at where the desk's where placed in the concept but I do see what you mean here, shall amend it very shortly so thank you for that!

As for your second point, I do also see what you mean about the pattern for the rug (I may have improvided here but it shall be added to my list of amendments), I decided quite early on that I was going to make floor panels and then the other side of the room would be covered by a patterned rug in which the footrest and chair would sit on top of as it felt more fitting to the scene.

I also see I was looking in all the wrong places for the type of cabinet that I needed so thank you again! shall take this into account and shall make these changes before we continue with the scene!

reflecting on your point about the lamp shades I exactly see what you mean here, at this point my skill in lighting is my weakest skill which I'm currently working towards improving so it's not final by any means!

One final question I do have is if I was to add an Art Nouveau cabinet to my scene (similar to the one in the concept) would you take the already existing antique cabinet out of the scene entirely or place it into another part of the room?

thanks!

• 3dGamePassion
    Offline / Send Message
    3dGamePassion polycounter lvl 4
    I like the piece, however I think the lighting needs work use lumens instead and maybe some IES Profiles. Also your materials to me seem to rubber and shiny, are the nodes hooked up correctly or was it this way in your paint program. So change the lights to more dim them more maybe added some haze like someone was smoking. Add some more asset on the desk fill the scene so it feels more alive less liek just a placements of assets. Great start though!
  • Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    One final question I do have is if I was to add an Art Nouveau cabinet to my scene (similar to the one in the concept) would you take the already existing antique cabinet out of the scene entirely or place it into another part of the room?
    Awroecreative 
    If you chose to replace the cabinet, I'd loose the existing one (maybe you find use for it in another scene). 
    Something above the cabinet might also be important - makes it part of the room (cabinet in the concept looks like it's built-in).

I think having elevations helps a lot figuring things out when creating furniture.

• Awroecreative
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G  You wonderful human being! thank you for this! 
    Offline / Send Message
    787 null
    Assets are looking great! The overall color saturation seems a bit heavy, will you use baked or realtime lighting?

Looking forward to your updates.