Home Technical Talk

Quad Draw issue in Maya when doing retopo on a flat 2D Marvelous garment

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Iwalyl polycounter lvl 2

Hello everyone!

First of all Hi! It´s my first post in Polycount. Hopefully first of many :smile: 

Now to the point. I´m trying to retopo a jacked I made in Marvelous for my current project. I’ve been working till now without any problem in a more traditional way of retopo (in live surface object directly) but for this jacket I decided using a back and forth method between maya and marvelous that I think might speed up my process. For that reason I want to retopo the flat view of the garment instead of the 3d view in maya. 

Till here all good. Now. When I make my mesh (the 2d version of the garment) a live surface and start trying to use quad draw it doesn´t allow me to place verts… Diging a bit on the problem I´ve found out that if I zoom out at a certain distance it suddenly allows me to do it, but obviously I can´t because I can´t really see what I´m doing.

Any idea on why this might be happening? It´s really annoying. Ultimately I can do it in Topogun but would be so much better to solve it and be able to work in maya.

I leave you 2 screenshots of the scene.

Close camera. Can't place verts.

Distant camera. The tool works but...

Thanks!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Looks like an issue of scale and camera culling. 

Likely you exported as mm scale from MD, so it's tiny in Maya which by default uses cm. Then, when you get in very close, the camera is set to cull at such a close distance. 

Simple solution : on export from MD set to "auto-scale" or cm. 

Or, select the clothing meshes, put them in a group together, and scale by 10.
  • Iwalyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iwalyl polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks a lot!

You nailed it. It worked perfectly for me. Just increasing the scale of the garment does the job, but just to be sure I reexported and reimported it in cm.