Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stormwind Throne Project

My goal is to do several versions of the throne of stormwind in different styles, as an iconic piece (to me) of game art.

This first version is an updated world of warcraft style, so hand painted, minimal specular, minimal self illumination, no normal maps, and baked in lighting in the paint.

My intent with this concept is as follows:
1) More grand alliance, rather than alliance of Lorderon (taking in elements of design from the active member races of the Alliance, rather than specifically Stormwind humans)
2) More mid tones so it can be lit brighter without blowing out, than classic "Stormwind White" brickwork
3)Sense of heaviness and damage, especially scrapes on back of chair from king/queen's armor.  Chair made of stonework as well to be not designed for comfort, but to be a reminder of a burden of duty.
4) Lions with unique faces and poses.  (I felt keeping the 4 lions instead of various beasts for unity, but to give them their own characters.  I also like the vibe of the WOW lions compared to the warcraft movie lions, as the WOW ones are awake and active, but the movie ones seem sleepy, however it's set at the end of a time of peace, rather than a time of war where WOW takes place).  I did want the lions to not directly face any petitioner to the throne, but rather looking to the sides, to the ruler's advisors and side entrances to the throne room.
5) Elements of Naru shape to signify main religion of Light workship (however good or bad that may end up...)
6) Shape and color helping eye flow to leader on throne, and helping their emotions project in different ways from different angles.

Replies