Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: 3DO does not show mesh

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ftsmith polycounter lvl 6
Whenever i try to import my mesh into DDO and try to use 3DO to preview it nothing shows up. The weird thing is that it worked one day and stoped working the next. I tried both fbx and obj. The fbx doesn't show up and the obj says the mesh group name is different (even though nothing was changed except for the file type to export) so the materials won't link.

Something to note is the maps I plug into DDO is from the maps I baked in Substance Painter. I don't know if that does anything.

Some extra information:
* Tried changing the baked maps from png to targa
* Having the fbx settings be the same as the one from the Mesh Preparation Video
* Having the obj settings be the same as the one from the Mesh Preparation Video
* Disabled all the maps
* Works with a basic cube, anything else either doesn't show up or looks triangulated with half the faces cut out.

Also a strange bug with DDO where if you use the reimporter to many times or with an obj I cant go back to the reimport menu.

I spent half a day troubleshooting so any help would be very helpful. If there is anymore information I can give you just let me know.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hi Ftsmith!

Could you possibly attach a video demonstrating what you're experiencing?
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, no problem. I hope google drive works. I named the video Quixel 3DO Bug. 

Sorry if it's to long/slow I just wanted to show the whole processes of what I've been doing. Let me know if I left anything out or if you need any more info.

One thing I noticed when I was testing things is when I import my mesh to DDO the mesh group just turns into "BaseMaterial" instead of whatever it's suppose to be.

https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You linked me to the default Drive directory - I'll need a link to the specific video you're hosting. :)

DDO will only name PSDs based on the name of the meshes contained in the exported model.
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Try loading the FBX or OBJ before it's been processed through another tool - just in case. Load it directly after it's been exported from your modeling package. I think that might be the root cause here. If it isn't, try shortening the name of the mesh you're working with. Perhaps call it the name of the gun and leave it at that before pulling it into DDO, just in case it's a Windows filename length issue.

In terms of IDs, DDO will always create a *.PNG from your IDs since it cleans up your IDs if it finds any minute levels of noise.

The reimporter should always function so long as the mesh and its input maps haven't been moved from their original location or had their name changed.
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried changing the names of the mesh to just "Tar21" and that didn't work. Also I always go from Maya straight to Quixel so if that is the problem I can't really imagine what would be out of the ordinary. I tried messing with my normals and changing export settings but none of those things changed anything.

I'm totally stumped. The only other thing I can think of is if it's a hardware/ graphic card issue or something
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    What version of PS are you running? I use 2014, personally, and I've actually never encountered anything quite like this before. In addition, is this officially-distributed via the Creative Cloud application or is it from a third party vendor of some sort? Make sure it's sourced through Creative Cloud and try it again. If all else fails, you can always try this too:

1. Close Photoshop and the Suite.
    2. Right click on Photoshop, choose Run As Administrator. This only needs to be done once, and does not need to be set to permanent administrator access.
    3. Close Photoshop.
    4. Run the Suite. If the issue persists, continue:
    5. Close Photoshop and the Suite.
    6. Right click on the Suite, choose Run As Administrator. This only needs to be done once, and does not need to be set to permanent administrator access.

Please let me know if this clears up any of the issues you're experiencing.

• ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using the latest version of Photoshop legally/officially. I tried testing stuff with 2014 but still the same problems. I also tried the administrator stuff with no luck either.

I did however figure out that the problem was with my mesh itself.  I think one of the mesh pieces is kind of corrupting the entire mesh and messing everything up. That's why the name of the mesh group was "BaseMaterial" when I imported it as one whole mesh instead of whatever it was suppose to be named. I tried testing different stuff by importing different mesh groups and I got a lot of different results because of that one corrupt mesh.

I'm gonna assume that's what's causing the problem cause that's the only thing getting me results. I guess this is a Non-Quixel issue now, but I just want to thank you for all the help.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Interesting, that would definitely cause an issue. 3DO is not friendly to mesh errors, but this is the first time I've ever seen something like this pop up. Thanks for reporting, and happy texturing! :)