Home Technical Talk

[Maya]Chain - Modeling with Physics Help Required

Hello Everyone, first id like to greet everyone as I am new to the community.

I'm currently working on a 3D scene for my portfolio and in that scene, I have a floating object that I want to connect to a wall with a metal chain.
What I have done is modeling chain parts and stringing them together, and giving them rigid bodies and gravity through this creates a lot of geometry and takes forever to calculate. my question is is there an easier way to create what I have in mind.
the screenshot should give a decent idea of what I got in mind.
thanks in advance!

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There sure is: use a dynamic curve. Start with drawing a curve with a decent but low amount of CVs, say 6 or 8 for this example. Then do nHair > Make Selected Curves Dynamic. The default is to have both ends pinned in place, and you can adjust the stretch/bend resistance in the hairSystemShape node.

Now use one of the duplicate on curve scripts or MASH to place and attach your chain geometry to the new curve. This is more or less giving you a rigid "simulation" for free since the geometry is just parented to their respective places on the curve. Note that you don't need a CV for every chain link.

Quick edit: This isn't a "proper" physical approach, this is just cheap and easy. The links are just following the curve, so they may end up not reaching enough or reaching too far.