Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please critique my Demo Reel

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Everything except thefacial animation and run cycle did not justify a reel.  They should have just been nicely rendered still images.
  • The3DFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DFella null
    Everything except thefacial animation and run cycle did not justify a reel.  They should have just been nicely rendered still images.
    Thanks, but am I allowed to just use still Renders in my Demo Reel?

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Not quite.  I'm arguing for something bigger which is just have a portfolio of mostly still images.

What position are you hoping to get with this reel? What are you aiming for?
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    If you are really set on becoming 3D generalist, just a heads up, it's going to be a long hard road.  Right now your reel has a 'Jack of all trades master of none' kind of feel to it. Most of us pick one or maybe two specialties, and devote ourselves to it. There is a saying that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become really good at a skill. If you truly want to do Hard surface Modeling, Character Modeling, Environment Art, Texturing, Rigging, and Animation you're looking at 60,000 hours of work to put in to become a really good generalist. Double that if you want to do both realistic and stylized. 

On a more specific note, your character modeling, rigging, and animation seem to be the week points on your reel. Your gasping character has no facial structure. No brow ridge, no cheek bones, no anatomy of any kind. I don't know much about animation and rigging, so I don't feel like I should be the one to give tips on improving it. But even my untrained eye can tell something is off. Pop over to the Anim. thread and post just your animations for an accurate critique. 

Your props and environment work is pretty good. The material definition on most of the props need a little love though. I like the finger prints in the gloss map of the guitar. That's a nice touch. More of that kind of thinking can help out the other props. Think about the story behind an object. How was the drone manufactured, are there any defects, how were the pieces assembled and how does each material react with light. It's almost never just glossy or rough. Sometimes the gloss map can be the most complex and can do the most to sell the realism. Another term for gloss map, is micro-surface detail.

Your teapot was a good attempt at aging, but the wearing and damage is too random. Consider how the tea pot was handled and abused though it's life. How it was cleaned and and stored. In general, the most raised and exposed areas are going to have the most wear and damage, and the least exposed areas are going to have the most dirt and grime. 
  • The3DFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DFella null
    Not quite.  I'm arguing for something bigger which is just have a portfolio of mostly still images.

What position are you hoping to get with this reel? What are you aiming for?
    as of now 3D Generalist, because i have not found my niche
  • The3DFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DFella null
    If you are really set on becoming 3D generalist, just a heads up, it's going to be a long hard road.  Right now your reel has a 'Jack of all trades master of none' kind of feel to it. Most of us pick one or maybe two specialties, and devote ourselves to it. There is a saying that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become really good at a skill. If you truly want to do Hard surface Modeling, Character Modeling, Environment Art, Texturing, Rigging, and Animation you're looking at 60,000 hours of work to put in to become a really good generalist. Double that if you want to do both realistic and stylized. 

On a more specific note, your character modeling, rigging, and animation seem to be the week points on your reel. Your gasping character has no facial structure. No brow ridge, no cheek bones, no anatomy of any kind. I don't know much about animation and rigging, so I don't feel like I should be the one to give tips on improving it. But even my untrained eye can tell something is off. Pop over to the Anim. thread and post just your animations for an accurate critique. 

Your props and environment work is pretty good. The material definition on most of the props need a little love though. I like the finger prints in the gloss map of the guitar. That's a nice touch. More of that kind of thinking can help out the other props. Think about the story behind an object. How was the drone manufactured, are there any defects, how were the pieces assembled and how does each material react with light. It's almost never just glossy or rough. Sometimes the gloss map can be the most complex and can do the most to sell the realism. Another term for gloss map, is micro-surface detail.

Your teapot was a good attempt at aging, but the wearing and damage is too random. Consider how the tea pot was handled and abused though it's life. How it was cleaned and and stored. In general, the most raised and exposed areas are going to have the most wear and damage, and the least exposed areas are going to have the most dirt and grime. 
    wow thank you so much for your feedback.
    A lot of that is wold stuff and tests, and i am aware that i still dont have good enough content for a actual demo reel.
    I am currently working on some much more promising content, but your critique was very informative. Thanks!
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    3D generalist is a pretty loose term, in the sense that the skill level of a 3D generalist differs depending on the studio and the responsibility you are expected to take.
    It would help to decide between animation and modeling to start and then create a roadmap to better your skill at one first.
    What's the music you used for your demoreel?