Home Technical Talk

3ds max units setup, maybe im missing something?

solidshark91493
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
solidshark91493 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, Working on a Trophy truck. Frame is made, but I wanted to accurately size the frame to actual TT sizes. 

However Im having issues getting the units set up. Ive tried multiple times but everything seems wonky. I set it to inches and centimeters neither worked. 

Im using a line on the x and on the y to set up my length and width, 124 inches long, and 92 inches wide is standard TT length and width. But when I make 39 inch radius tires theyre WAY too big to fit in the line dimensions. 

Any ideas? 

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    39" radius tyres means 78" diameter.   Or 6.5 feet.

I'm not familiar with these trucks but that sounds wrong
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may have typed it wrong, theyre 39 inch tires. Not sure how its calculated
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tire is 39 inches tall by 13.5 inches wide, 17 inch wheel. I still cant get the units working correctly. 
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it look double sized? You might be mixing up diameter and radius? 3dsmax uses radius not diameter. Radius is half of the distance across the circle, so half the height of the tire. If your tire is 39, then your cylinders radius should be half, so 19.5. 

If it's not that, then the model is probably not the right proportions?
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it look double sized? You might be mixing up diameter and radius? 3dsmax uses radius not diameter. Radius is half of the distance across the circle, so half the height of the tire. If your tire is 39, then your cylinders radius should be half, so 19.5. 

If it's not that, then the model is probably not the right proportions?
    Mark, always coming in with the wisdom. Yeah I think I was using diameter not radius. Looked double size. Im setting up the wheels and tires along with two lines one on X and one on Y to properly size my frame.