Home Career & Education

Need suggestion for Artist to get into AAA game industry (I got 3 options in my head)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
YiKai polycounter lvl 5
Hi all,
I am working as an lead digital artist in a small Hong Kong mobile game company for 4years + 1year freelancing, and now I really want to move into the AAA game company (especially blizzard). Here is my website if you are curious about my art ( www.jason-Yikai.com ) 
I know i’m Not AAA quality and my art style is not blizzard at all. But I’m ready to quit my current job to study and push my art much further. I’ll say I know a bit of everything (illustration, 3D modeling, animation, sfx, UI, etc) but now I want to specialize at either 2d environment concept art or 3D environment art. 

Right now I have 3 plans and really want your suggestion. 
1. Use all the money I saved up to Study at FZD and push my concept art skill as far as possible and build a quality environment art portfolio (in blizzard art style which I love) and become a concept artist

2. Use all my money + borrow money from my parent to Study at Gnomon 2 year course and push my 3D skills as far as possible and build a quality 3D environment portfolio in blizzard art style + try my best to make connection during the time in Hollywood.

3. Set one year time and study by myself from any online resources, become a great 3D environment artist, and use the money to travel to Big conference/event etc to try pitch my portfolio to AAA art director.

I have so many doubt and want to hear what you all think. I like both 2D or 3D environment art and As long as I have a higher chance to work in blizzard... I will do it (It may sound silly but dude I love blizzard since I was a kid, and now i am 29 I don’t want to waste any more time and want to climb the mountain) I am living in Hong Kong it is pretty hard to make any connection with any AAA people or get a visa. Also mobile game industry in Hong Kong is all about anime girl and gacha mico transaction. Option 1 & 2 may sound silly & spoil, but does offer some great benefit that option 3 don’t offer (Like the connection with top tier teacher, America student visa (higher chance to look for jobs) and the learning environment.

The reason why I’ll need to quit my current job is because it is draining all my energy from 9:00am to 7:00pm. The remaining time (3-4hours) I can only draw something simple and learn so little. Then remaining time I use 1hr for dinner, 1hr travel back home, 1-2hr to maintain my relationship, and it is already 1:00am. I had been trying to work and learn at the same time for the past 2 years, and it did make some progress but very slow, a bit too slow. 

Therefore I know this is not a want for the rest of my life and remember my childhood favorite dream... is to create an environment, a space of Warcraft.

Any suggestion and feedback will appreciate. 

Cheers,
Jason

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Your work is very good, but it's absolutely nothing like Blizzard.
    Blizzard usually wants to see that you can emulate their style flawlessly before you apply there.

I would recommend following the artists who have worked at Blizzard, and can capture their style. Make fan-art pieces.

Make actual WoW models that look like they belong in WoW.

https://www.artstation.com/murph
    https://www.artstation.com/dusty
    https://www.deviantart.com/firstkeeper/gallery/3065304/3D-art
    https://www.artstation.com/chickeninwater
    https://www.artstation.com/faf
    https://www.artstation.com/orb
    https://www.artstation.com/nshade
    https://www.artstation.com/davidharrington
    https://www.artstation.com/leslievdb/albums/18899

Goodluck!

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @JacqueChoi
    Do you think he needs to spend time at either school to get to that point where he spits Blizzard style without thinking about it?  I almost want to say to just stay home and solo study given the quality of his portfolio right now.
  • YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    Thx for your kind words and suggestion Jacque! Appreciate all links too! 
    And yes my portfolio isn't ready, and thats why I had decide to quit my full time job and focus on pushing my art to the blizzard direction. It may sound silly and risky but I'm feeling the urge to put 110% to climb the AAA mountain asap. 

But I Can't decide which is the better path (I know nothing is perfect but I feeling nervous about the decision)...
    1. Go study 3D at Gnomon (Super Expensive but easier to build a network, learn from top-tier artist, student visa(easier to look for job), competitive learning environment) 
    2. Concept art at Fzd (Super competitive learning environment, can push my strongest skill (illustration, concept art) further, help by professional to critic my art, profolio)
    3. Study at home myself. (Cheapest)  

Again thanks you for your reply!
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I also love blizzard. One comment, on Gnomon. Currently a student there. A theme I've heard from people here is you'll have trouble getting to make blizzard style work, in the time you're learning foundational realistic techniques. Not saying that you can't but I believe the critiques are typically based on the instructors and the instructors will primarily have a different background then that style. I don't have personal experience there however. That said, networking you'll get 110% at gnomon, Perhaps a hybrid between your options 2 and 3 (if you're a citizen?). Pick a few dedicated classes while you self study? You won't get the same amount of connections as a lot of it is being at gnomon and experiencing it with your class mates in the same classes for 2-3 years. I think you should really decide between 2d and 3d first, blizzard aside, and I know that's tough. I'm a bad example as I've switched 3d to FX half year last at Gnomon and still aim for blizzard. But you will grow infinitely more with the confidence that you chose the right one from the start and you don't regret a choice, so you can plan to have a headstart and do some extra practice before FZD or Gnomon.. I'm terrible at words. So as my last run on sentence, I don't know about concept / hiring from out country but being in town in LA as well as having a few teachers that are from blizzard, can't hurt. Your stuffs really cool, so keep pushing :).

Edit
    Just saw your last reply.
    I think your 2d skills would really propel you fast learning wise.
    And studying here would land you a job much easier.

So perhaps based on those 2 variables. Decide what you ultimately would like to do more between jobs if Blizzard wasn't your first.
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Tough decision but I think you need to decide if it's 2D or 3D. Which discipline do you want as a career and the other as a hobby?

I've partially done option 3, but I knew I was ready for this. I would say if you're thinking of 3 then you need to know are you able to learn by yourself, or at least be capable of learning on how to learn for yourself.

Also I would advise not to put all your eggs (emotion) into one basket (Blizzard) but fine as motivation. Aspire to become a successful 2d or 3d artist in the AAA games industry. If you get into Blizzard straight away or years later that is a bonus.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    @Ex-Ray have a really good points there
    I never really been able to understand corporate branding fan boy mentality -> anyone can help me with that ?
    Playing game made by a company and working for one has probably nothing in common + do you know that most people who made all the game you so much love doesn't work in there any more [if you have 'possible' the best job why would you leave ?]
    ++ your style is not like the company you want to work in so why should you try to be someone you are not ?
    On the educational question you have to ask yourself are you motivated enough to spend 2 years studying alone or should you have to give pile of money to someone to force you to do it
    I personally believe in master apprentice approach so finding someone really good who is willing to help/teach you ,that be a good way to invest + you get best of both alone vs school
  • YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    @maximumsproductions Thanks for the reply! Good to know some student from Gnomon and your suggestion really help too! I am better at 2D right now (cause my past 4 years experience were mostly doing illustration, UI design and spine animation etc.)  But now I can stop and rethink my path, I used to love building 3D environment art before my full time job, and import my environment stuff into a game engine and walk around for 30 mins. :) However my 3D skill are so outdated right now, I only know about Maya, haven't learn Zbrush, Substance painter, Speed tree, etc all those cool stuff. (There is my past 3D model https://www.jason-yikai.com/3d-models) 
    Therefore going Gnomon to learn 3D will help heaps! Also I heard most studio usually need more 3D artist than concept artist. 
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Looking at your port-folio, I have the impression tha tyou already have the skills, discipline and design foundation to learn and master your art by yourself.

There's plenty of tutorials out there, plus countless of forums (here for example) where you can find professional artist to critique your work and give you impressions.

I'd say thought, you have to know yourself if you wanna learn by yourself. If you go all out, working on your art each every day, not procrastinating and stay consistently productive, you could probably get a killer folio in a year.

But you have to be consistent at it.

Edit: Just looked up the price for FZD; YIKES, in total it's like 50k for the year course, plus all the living cost of singapour...
  • YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    @Ex-Ray Thx for your reply and yea I won't limit myself just making Blizzard style art. I'm also so glad you were able to learn by yourself and make it into the industry! Just checked your artstation, your works look amazing. :)
    Right now Blizzard is the mountain I want to climb right now, I may end up somewhere else or fall of and fail. But at least I know I need to stop wonder around in the snowy field and head toward that direction.  
  • YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    @carvuliero Thanks for your honest opinion. I can't disagree more that I'm a blizzard fan boy, their game gave me motivation to create but if I'm working there that may change. And I know some of the blizzard's talent and favorite director is not working there anymore, no company is perfect and I don't have to cater my art style to them... But I just sketches some of those chunky stylize Warcraft buildings and it was fun, and I want to try more, I want to do more. I want to make a new town base on the Warcraft lore, I want to restyle some of the buildings. Looking forward to build my portfolio. 

Really appreciate your reply and I'm very eager to listen and learn.  I believe I'm able to self learn just like what I did before my full time job, but I'm not confidence to build up my network.  
  • YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    @Blond   Good to hear from you! And yes FZD is expensive and Gnomon is even more expensive. But they are expensive for some great reasons. 
    Definitely I can learn myself and I'm feeling pump to do it already, been sketching for a few hours everyday after work. And yes you are right consistency is one the key! Just like going to the gym. 
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6

I get that there was a console embargo in your country
    but there are higher peaks to aim for than that one, sheesh dude.

YiKai said:
    Thx for your kind words and suggestion Jacque! Appreciate all links too! 
    And yes my portfolio isn't ready, and thats why I had decide to quit my full time job and focus on pushing my art to the blizzard direction. It may sound silly and risky but I'm feeling the urge to put 110% to climb the AAA mountain asap. 

Did you actually quit? Don't tell me you did that.  Please don't quit your job
    Don't debase yourself to conforming to base frozen style
    You are better than that. 

Every wooden dude wants to work for the frozen games; not sure if that is the best option.
    Also from what I hear, they don't pay very well either. 
    Their salary is unlivable in the area that have set up shop in.

The reason why I’ll need to quit my current job is because it is draining all my energy from 9:00am to 7:00pm. The remaining time (3-4hours) I can only draw something simple and learn so little. Then remaining time I use 1hr for dinner, 1hr travel back home, 1-2hr to maintain my relationship, and it is already 1:00am. I had been trying to work and learn at the same time for the past 2 years, and it did make some progress but very slow, a bit too slow. 

Therefore I know this is not a want for the rest of my life and remember my childhood favorite dream... is to create an environment, a space of Warcraft.

Any suggestion and feedback will appreciate. 

Cheers,
    Jason

Frozen games and many other woodland places like to impose their will on others and tell them they are bellow par if they aren't doing exactly what they are doing.
    But to work towards making bellow the average salary in an expensive
     area,for a company that  makes most of it's funds by taking  full advantage of the console embargo is ludicrous.

You've got a stable job, hold on to it. 
    Are they paying you industry standard? 

Some of us have been looking for stability for quite some time, you are lucky to have had it for as long as you did.
    Albiet it might not be the best, it's getting you a paycheck and shipped titles no?
    If you got 1 hour during the week to create, use your weekends to the fullest.

visa. Also mobile game industry in Hong Kong is all about anime girl and gacha mico transaction. 
    As much as I don't like the "moe" types and the school girls,  I would much rather deal with that 
    than the  staunched attitudes of woodlanders,  and  seething rage as well as elitism of hyper real dudes. 

You say you are influenced by the frozen blizzard games, but I see some heavy Shinsuke Komaki (megaman battle network), Toru Nakayama (megaman zero ) influences in your art. 

I think you have the pieces to land a gig somewhere major though, I am especially fond of that mummy altar, floating city, and anubis robot.
    Have you tried Bandai Namco?
    Or perhaps Banpresto? 
    Maybe Capcom?
    Maybe even the nintendo studio or perhaps one of their outsourcing companies.

Also do you have a degree already? 
    I am just wondering because some places require you to have it for easy access  to  a Visa, in order to 
    go to another country.

Networking is key, try to mosey on over to GDC or something of that nature.
    It's gotten me many gigs and commissions. It's usually not the show floor though, it's the parties that are game changers.

JacqueChoi 
    You have woodlanded my good fellow, that title doesn't look anything like that. 
    The storm based fellows sure; but not the wow. 
    You are putting it on some high pedistal when it shouldn't be.

Ex-Ray

Ex-Ray said:
    Tough decision but I think you need to decide if it's 2D or 3D. Which discipline do you want as a career and the other as a hobby?

I've partially done option 3, but I knew I was ready for this. I would say if you're thinking of 3 then you need to know are you able to learn by yourself, or at least be capable of learning on how to learn for yourself.

Also I would advise not to put all your eggs (emotion) into one basket (Blizzard) but fine as motivation. Aspire to become a successful 2d or 3d artist in the AAA games industry. If you get into Blizzard straight away or years later that is a bonus.

Almost everywhere I have worked has required me to do both. More stylized places require both.
    I spoke to people from triples like Carbine and,the Hal labs; they said both skills were required of them.

Not so much at tough guy games, I am not sure what is required of frozen games though.

@Ex-Ray have a really good points there
    I never really been able to understand corporate branding fan boy mentality -> anyone can help me with that ?
    Playing game made by a company and working for one has probably nothing in common + do you know that most people who made all the game you so much love doesn't work in there any more [if you have 'possible' the best job why would you leave ?]

Being a part of gaming history.
    During the console wars of the 90s many companies created the technologies, genres,  and innovations 
    still present til  this very day; who wouldn't want to join a  studio with such proud history?
    Also working on titles that everyone will play is a plus too.
    Not so much the OP's  company in question, during the days of deciding factors they were more akin to Akklaim, Psygnosis  and LJN, they most likely would have poofed too if that warharmmer license went through and they weren't able to take advantage of the console embargo.  
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    An option that I really don't think gets mentioned enough around here is to go for an online school. There's a few solid choices out there. I'm currently finishing up my first term with Think Tank online and it's been fantastic. CGMA is also a well known and trusted source for classes. I don't know what your life is like but as someone with a bunch of obligations to family, it has really worked for me.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

YiKai wrote:

3. Set one year time and study by myself from any online resources, become a great 3D environment artist, and use the money to travel to Big conference/event etc to try pitch my portfolio to AAA art director.

This.

Really, a pretty much concise 'roadmap' I'd personally agree with in order too craft a folio of work targeting those skillsets and/or art style you've an interest in, also content these following topics discuss will bear keeping in mind considering your particular circumstance.

A Story of How I Became a 3D Artist

https://www.polygon-academy.com/articles/

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    If you don't live in the USA, you'd have to factor that into your decision given the likelihood of a company sponsoring you for a work visa may not be Blizzard at the beginning.

I'm not sure of any official courses online or in North America that focus specifically on the Blizzard Art style, but there are several resources online to match it.

That said, not everyone who matches that style gets into Blizzard, not because they aren't good but there are a lot of applications even from people who aren't good, so there is a great deal of filtering to be done there.

Would you be satisfied if you got to work at a company that does a style similar to Blizzard but isn't well Blizzard?
    For instance, Epic, Riot or Hi Rez Studios? Not that their art is exactly like blizzard, but there are some similarities.

Because every job has other aspects you need to take note of, as well as how much you'd have to work/struggle to be a part of a brand name/experience.
    For instance I'm sure there are many artists who'd love to do your job because its all about the anime girl, lol but are probably just as excited about the prospect of living in HongKong/Japan/Korea etc.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Don't water down your art style just to fit with the frozen studio.
    YiKai said:

This sounds good. You can't lose with this one!
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter

2. Use all my money + borrow money from my parent to Study at Gnomon 2 year course and push my 3D skills as far as possible and build a quality 3D environment portfolio in blizzard art style + try my best to make connection during the time in Hollywood.

defragger said:
    This sounds good. You can't lose with this one!

Also getting work authorisation in the USA for non citizens is challenging and depends on several factors besides your portfolio,
    For example,
    https://www.quora.com/How-can-European-citizen-move-and-live-in-USA

, though you may get a freelance off site role because of a good portfolio.
    Are you looking to eventually migrate to the USA and live there permanently?

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    There's other factors involved if considering moving to America. Stupid factors, but such is reality. 

A coworker of my wife's -- a French national who's lived in the United States for a decade; worked for the same company; highly skilled worker; married to an American citizen -- went to France for a holiday and was denied entry back in without any explanation as to why. 

That's one anecdote, but stuff like this is happening a lot lately. I'm not sure if my wife -- a Canadian -- will get her green card renewed soon or not. We applied for renewal more than two years ago... again, this is somebody who's lived legally in the states for almost a decade, paid taxes, never used government assistance, highly skilled work, etc. And it's no mystery why this nonsense is happening. There's a racist moron in the White House by the name of Stephen Miller who's making this shit  happen. So called "patriots" who never risked a thing for their beloved country thinking they know what's best. Anyway...

Maybe this will all be forgotten like a bad dream, but do be aware of the cultural climate of a place before packing your bags and moving there. Not saying moving to CA is going to be like taking a trip to backwoods Alabama (I'm from there, I can make fun of it), but for immigrants of any kind America can be an uncertain place at the moment.

I definitely don't intend to scare OP or anything of the sort. Just one factor among many to throw into the pro's/con's pile for consideration. 

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    A coworker of my wife's -- a French national who's lived in the United States for a decade; worked for the same company; highly skilled worker; married to an American citizen -- went to France for a holiday and was denied entry back in without any explanation as to why.
    Did he eventually make it back? Feel really bad for the guy.

To answer OPs question.
    Option 3 is only a option if you 100% know what you want to specialize in and you have a good plan and a lot of self motivation.
    The education route (in your case FZD or Gnomon) Will be most beneficial for networking. I met so many great people/friends at school and when I went on to do a internship, these people now work for different companies and can help me when I start applying after I updated my portfolio.

I cant really answer the FZD vs Gnomon question because I didn't go to any of these and I don't know anyone who did. My school did have orientation days in which they paid for your stay and food for 2 days maybe FZD and Gnomon have it as well? Contacting them wouldn't hurt either, you are a potential clients so they will probably answer all your questions.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Why do people worry about workng permit so much? Is it really the employees job to get a permit in the US?
    Because in germany companies help to get a working permit and it's not that difficult to get one in our industry. I know a few guys from India, Ukrain, Argentina that had no issues getting a working permit.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    It can be quite hard, I know a guy who actually got a job at Blizzard but they weren't able to get him a permit.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    defragger said:
    Why do people worry about workng permit so much? Is it really the employees job to get a permit in the US?
    Because in germany companies help to get a working permit and it's not that difficult to get one in our industry. I know a few guys from India, Ukrain, Argentina that had no issues getting a working permit.
    Its mainly because of the H1B lottery system.
    If you do study in the USA you can get a 1 year work permit which can be extended to 2 years for STEM related programs (don't know if this applies to game development)
    After that you have to get an H1B unless you find another way to stay in the USA.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    @Zi0, no as far as I last heard he's still stuck in France, probably will lose his job. His families whole life is turned upside down for absolutely no reason at all. 

@defragger, funny I was thinking about suggesting to OP to look into places like Germany as they are much more friendly toward immigrants right now, but I didn't want to potentially start a "this country vs that country" type of thing. But yeah, the US is a mess right now regarding immigration law, in my experience.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    @BIGTIMEMASTER my wife and mother of my child is an aussie and we have had to rely on government assistance at times. scares the shit out of me that this stuff has to even cross our minds.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Always have a back up plan!  

Whether disasters be natural or man-made, they happen and you got to deal with them. It just particularly irks me when humans create problems from nothing -- as if there isn't enough real problems to deal with.