Home Unreal Engine

Collision in concave objects

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Udjani interpolator
by what i understand from tutorials and the manual the way that you would make a collision for something like a tunnel would be to use boxes or rectangles around it. 

But what if i have something like this hydraulic cylider that has many concave pieces? there is no other way, only by breaking it into a lot of convex pieces?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The question is, do you  really need very precise collision? this could be covered with a cylinder and a box.
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Obscura said:
    The question is, do you  really need very precise collision? this could be covered with a cylinder and a box.
    Probably not, but if i would, then the only way would be with multiple convex shapes? I thought that could have another way since you can use a copy of the mesh for it with all the concave shapes. 
  • Alanandrade92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alanandrade92 polycounter lvl 5
     Udjani said:
    Obscura said:
    Probably not, but if i would, then the only way would be with multiple convex shapes? I thought that could have another way since you can use a copy of the mesh for it with all the concave shapes. 
    Udjani, probably it's the best approach if you want a high detailed collision. But for this asset I would do as Obscura said.

However there is an option in UE4 to create a complex collision using the mesh details, doing this requires more processing but its more precise.

• GearStormTrooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This may not be helpful, but if you're looking to have the cylinder constrained in Unreal, you're probably better off with a skeletal mesh or using the physical constraints than collision.  Collision constraints are brittle,  and very susceptible to performance and network lag, etc.  If the collision doesn't simulate correctly, the system won't recover.  With constraints it will.