Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] Issues with exporting

Immorthar
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Immorthar polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone! Have some trouble with exporting, here is explanation.
I have this thing:

(don't pay attention to some edges, it's very little object and Max have troubles with visualisating of them)
When i exporting it with default settings as OBJ:

And then importing back in the same scene (or in other scene or application) i get this result
Left is before export-import, right after:
Need to mention that, scene has many objects, and when i exporting them and then back importin (or using in other applications) some objects still good but some deforming like that.
Whis problem affects and high-poly meshes created from mesh at first picture. Here hi-poly:
And here same hi-poly after export-import:

As u can see it's totaly messed up.
Is anyone faced this problem? What can i do to fix, that? I tried to reset XForms but this doen't helped.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Untick the optimize tickyboxes and see what happens 
  • Immorthar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Untick the optimize tickyboxes and see what happens 
    Sadly, but it doen't helped, same results as on images higher
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Export FBX, OBJ is outdated.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    That's sensible but not helpful. 

Is the object very tiny or very big? 
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I guess it's a precision issue. Max up precision (4 is for 4 decimals). Maximum is 12. It's meant to reduce file size by rounding vertex position values but you probably never want to use it. Also you might want to adjust your units settings to be consistent with your model scale.
    To resume, you can't store very long decimal numbers in your files, so you need to adjust your units (millimeters for tiny objects, so on...). If you model something that is 2mm big, but with km as units, 2mm = 0,000002 km, so you're already at 6 decimals.
    Also the display will be better.

• Immorthar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry have long missing.
    s1dK said:
    Export FBX, OBJ is outdated.
    This helped me a lot and solved my problem, thanks! Exporting as FBX don't deforming object and much faster (especially for hi-poly).
    poopipe said:
    That's sensible but not helpful. 

Is the object very tiny or very big? 

Object is very small, like bolt on automobile disks est. size 0.5x0.5x0.5 cm while biggest object on scene about 50x150x100 cm.
    Noors said:
    I guess it's a precision issue. Max up precision (4 is for 4 decimals). Maximum is 12. It's meant to reduce file size by rounding vertex position values but you probably never want to use it. Also you might want to adjust your units settings to be consistent with your model scale.
    To resume, you can't store very long decimal numbers in your files, so you need to adjust your units (millimeters for tiny objects, so on...). If you model something that is 2mm big, but with km as units, 2mm = 0,000002 km, so you're already at 6 decimals.
    Also the display will be better.

That's really inetesting things you talking about! On my scene i working with cm(centimeters), but this object about 0.5x0.5x0.5 cm. precision set as 5. But! When i trying create for example box with size lesser than 7x7x7 cm it's simply doesn't creating!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    You have a display unit and a system unit. The one that matters for accuracy is the system unit setup. Display is just for convenience. So check both. You should be able to create a 7x7x7 cm box without those issues, if your system units is set to cm.
    And again, set precision to maximum in the obj exporter if you want to export as obj. This option has no incidence on your Max file itself, just on the exported file. It's far from beeing a useless format for meshes exchange, i use it all the time.