Home Adobe Substance

Shading Problem

Suleiman
null
Offline / Send Message
Suleiman null
Guys, I am facing a shading problem. In Substance Painter there's no problem, but when I export it and import it to Unity it has a shading problem.

In Substance Painter:

And in Unity:

Help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeeeeeeee!!!!!! 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Looks like you baked the mesh without smoothing the normals. 

Look at your normal map. Do you see the same seam lines? If not, simply smooth the meshes normals and apply your material to that and you should be good. 

My guess is you wont, because it is displayed correctly in Painter. So most likely you exported a different version of the mesh to Unity than you are working wtih in Painter. Probably one that has not had its normals smoothed. 

If the normal map does have the seams, you'll need to re-bake. Be sure to smooth your normals before you bake again.

For baking, my process is usually : smooth mesh, duplicate it, triangulate the duplicated mesh, export the triangle one as "TRI's or BAKE", and do the baking with that one. You can export the triangles one to your game engine, but you'll want to keep the quad one for rigging or for making changes to later if necessary, like creating LODs, etc.

With a hardsurface object like this, you don't want to apply global smoothing. You need to smooth edges under a certain angle threshold, but leave others hard. You'll need to get a little deeper into some instruction about that. Check the wiki for reading and further links.
  • Suleiman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suleiman null
    Thank you, BIGTIMEMASTER

Is "smoothing normals" the same as "smoothing edges"?

Normal map is good, and I exported the same mesh to Unity.

I tried baking it several times in: 3ds Max, Maya and Substance Painter, it shows same result.

My process of baking is like yours. 

I smoothed edges, and made hard edges where it has UV seems.

And it, unfortunately, still shows the same result :confused:
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    smooth normals and smooth edges is the same. It's just averaging the normals for smoother lighting.

I'm kind of lost for further ideas. When you applied smoothing in your 3d app to that overlapping ring, it appears smooth, right? Your high poly is also smooth of course, and then you do the typical delete history, bake, it looks fine in substance painter, and you send the same mesh your textured to unity?

If you upload the maya scene with the high and low mesh, i can run it through the process and see what happens.
  • aliismail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aliismail polycounter lvl 4
    smooth normals and smooth edges is the same. It's just averaging the normals for smoother lighting.

I'm kind of lost for further ideas. When you applied smoothing in your 3d app to that overlapping ring, it appears smooth, right? Your high poly is also smooth of course, and then you do the typical delete history, bake, it looks fine in substance painter, and you send the same mesh your textured to unity?

If you upload the maya scene with the high and low mesh, i can run it through the process and see what happens.
    Hey Alex!

I am actually a colleague of Suleiman, he showed me the problem briefly but I didn't have the chance to work with the files and sort of told him to keep trying to figure it out as we were up to our heads with work not related to what he was doing :)

Still didn't get a chance to see what's happening with the mesh or normals here as well, but I am suspecting a Unity lighting quality issue or something with the import/export. 

Suleiman didn't reply because there is a long one week public holiday and he probably didn't check the computer, but he did send a link to me for this thread earlier and only now I got a chance to have a look at it, just hold on a bit (about a week :) ), and we will either get a chance to see the files and let you know what's happening because I am sure you must be curious or send you the files to check.

Thanks a lot Alex. Your help is truly appreciated.
    Ali

• Suleiman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suleiman null
    Hey BIGTIMEMASTER

Tried everything, it didn't work.

I guess the problem is within Unity lighting and shading system, it seems the real time rendering quality is not very high, so you can see some of these effects when you really come close to the model and inspect it.

Thanks for trying to help!