Pinned
IqCube polycounter lvl 3
Hi all My last artwork. Comes with ACOG
More Images and Sketchfab on ArtStation

Replies

• Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Man, so much attention to detail. All the little edges that should be worn are worn, but nothing is over done.

Something I see, a minor inaccuracy -- and this is something I see on many weapon models -- is the position of the sight being a little off. Many shooters will touch their nose to the charging handle as a point of reference, and the sight has to have some eye relief. So, if you look up images of US army soldiers (usually with an m4 buts its the same anyway), you'll notice the rear aperture of the ACOG is usually an inch or so forward from the charging handle, or at least flush with the point where the charging handle meets with the upper reciever. It really doesn't detract from you model having this minute difference (I cant even call it a mistake or anything, the acog can be mounted however you please), but, if the model was going to be used in a 3rd person game, you could line up the characters face with just a touch more realism if you did scooch the acog forward a little.

An example. You can find plenty a little more rearward than this, but it will only be one or two slots on the rail.
    Image result for us army m4

Great work though overall.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Some crits for the materials that I hope are helpful:

The edge wear is too uniform, it needs to be localized more. Right now it looks like an edge detection routine plus a noise overlay. To look natural it needs more macro variation to not be so rigid. It currently sticks to the same few pixels around every edge.

The scratches in the plastic dont quite feel right, that stuff is hard in real life, not rubber. It's more likely to shatter than scratch off in a line that way.

It would go a long way towards realism to get some gloss breakup happening, oils from solvents and lubricants, grime and dirt, all smeared around with hands and pooled by gravity, collecting in certain areas. Go a bit deeper than impact damages like edging and scrapes.
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Great points from Ben ^. 

In the field, you tend to just glob CLP (the oil for the moving parts of the gun) onto the receiver and work the action back and forth to spread it around. So what ends up happening is the excess oil oozes out of the joints where the upper and lower receivers meet, and also places like around the selector lever. Envrionmental dust sticks to the oil, and of course the users hand my smear that around as well.

Also, ben is spot on about the plastic. It doesn't get cracks or cuts like metal does. It just kind of wears smooth with discoloration in certain spots.
  • IqCube
    Offline / Send Message
    IqCube polycounter lvl 3