Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Punch animation (first try with stretch poses)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Haryas polycounter lvl 4
Hi !

I started recently this animation. I wanted to try an animation with extreme poses (I have in mind the style of Overwatch / League of Legends). I've always been curious of this style and wanted to try to do one.

So here is the first GIF in step motion (after maya decided to freeze and lose all my work. I definitely learned the lesson this time. Autosave activated ^^)

And here is what I have right now. There's still work to do, like the end and I feel something is off with the arms when she jumps.

I tried to do another camera more "in game" like behind her shoulder, but it's not as good as the camera above. I still think there's potential with this idea, so I'll investigate on how I can improve it :) 

I've never done animation like this so please tell me what you think of this (like the stretch poses, camera, etc...)

Have a nice day (or evening) ;) 

Replies

• Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    With smear frames, you should "Feel" them rather than see them. At the moment in your animation they are far too obvious, they should be very quick snappy frames no longer than a 2-4 frames from fully stretched out, back to normal.

The pose at the apex of the jump could definitely do with some tweaks as well. Really bring the right arm up and back. You definitely have a good base to work with but for sure speed those smear frames up. Maybe reduce the anticipation of the punch as well. I can see the effect you are going for, like a cinematic slow down but at the moment it hangs just a little too long for my personal tastes. Generally rather than building smears directly into your base poses I find it easier to make the animation the "Normal" way then add smears on your inbetweens. That way you can get a better sense of timing from the get go. Once again not sure if that is personal preference or a standard to work by. Someone more experienced could chime in more on that.

Can't wait to see some progress on this one. Once you work in some settle, overlap and follow through along with the stuff already mentioned should make a nice piece. 
  • Haryas
    Offline / Send Message
    Haryas polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for this feedback @Rmunday . You're completely right about the smear frames. I knew that, but maybe because I did them as key poses, I forgot that "feeling" sensation.

For the moment when she's in the air, my intention was to make her prepare her attack, not a slow motion. Your comment means I didn't do that correctly ^^ I'll retake it and I think I'll add a little bit of "shake" in her arm to feel the concentration and strength in the preparation of the punch. 

I quite like this version of an "elastic" girl but it's not what my first objectif is. So thanks for your comment, it reminds me my initial objectif :)
  • Rmunday
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    No worries @Haryas, if the intention is charging up a punch for sure adding some judder/shake to the arm and upper body should help sell it. By all means if you are liking the over the top stretching because that is the character then stick with it. Regardless, at the end of the day this is your piece! Can't wait to see more.