Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Myra the Hoverbike Enthusiast

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
johntw812 polycounter lvl 5
A character concept based on a Dota 2 Fan art by reddit user u/nyanart1

Concept: https://imgur.com/a/IrYCH

Kinda scrapped the dota 2 side of things, as the casual clothes depiction of Lina kinda gave a fantasy futuristic feel to me. Pretty happy with the final result, the hand painted textures came out well I feel. I think I achieved a really decent blend between concept and my personal style. 

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    @Scylla812  ; I like the concept , and I think your execution could use a bit of attention. You can accomplish the same shapes you have on that character with 1/10th the polygons, and not just for efficiency sake. It looks like you just did a ZB retopo and called it a day; that won't pass as usable in a professional environment.

The materials on the bike should be replaced, it's overly rusted and doesn't match the hand-painted style you went for on the character.

All in all, I can see this becoming better, and I'm sure you can do it. Thanks for sharing.

• johntw812
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PeterK Thanks so much for the critique! I did feel as if the model was a bit dense by the end of the retopo. And I agree, the bike was initially made with a different project in mind and definitely could use an overhall. 
  • johntw812
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a more updated polycount for the character. I didn't really want to go lower than this, as the character was made for VR, and the low polycount becomes really noticeable I feel. I'm sure it could be optimized more-so, and the topology better suited, but I think this is near my best with my current skill level and understanding.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Scylla812 said:
    , but I think this is near my best with my current skill level and understanding.
    No mate, it's your best with your current willingness to do more work. You're more skilled than you think, and your understanding is what made you type the qualifier quote above. Give yourself a bit more credit on your ability, and take a critical look at your drive.  Mind you, I know ALL TOO WELL the feeling of wanting to be done with something.

That said, the face and chest/shoulder area is a big improvement in poly flow, and I still like the face texture.
  • johntw812
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're probably right, as I have been working on this for a bit and I am yearning to start new projects. I think taking a short breather on this project and coming back to it with fresh eyes could really help with the finalization of this piece. Thank you so much again, PeterK, your critique and insight is very helpful!