Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Frog Surfer Character

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
I saw pics of the red eyed tree frog and throught it would make a fun character model in a bright colourful stylised game. I drew a simple concept and then kept working on it until I had the coloured version with the cool scifi hover surfboard. I was also obviously inspired by overwatch stuff here and there. I'm not really a concept artist so I expect the concept to evolve a bit during making the game rez model.

I also did some quick sketches of facial expressions and the hand and foot so that I have a better understanding of the forms and I'm more prepared for the sculpt.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I'm just in the process of blocking out the characters forms, starting with his body of course. I'm using primitives and building the shapes like that, never tried this method before but it makes sense and the resulting shapes are nice and clean. I heard about it from Shane Olson (made Disney Infinity characters) and Leticia Gillet (makes Overwatch characters) who both seem to think this is a fantastic way to start making stylised characters. Definitely worth the effort, though this being the first time I've tried it it has taken me about 4 hours to get this far but I'm sure I will get much faster at this and find some good shortcuts.

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey @Ged nice blockout so far. Yea I totally agree, I've began to build my base meshes with primitive shapes as separate tools. Way easier to manipulate the intersections/joints. I like the frog and clothing on the concept. I believe the shoulder piece and board could be elevated. 

I'm excited to see where you take this!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    just a quick update, this project is still going :) been learning some marvelous designer this weekend. I just quickly zremeshed the frog dude sculpt to make it much lower poly and then quick rigged it in maya and threw it into marvelous designer as obj and it seemed to work. Was so glad it wasnt too hard to get it working in there. Just started on the jacket so its nowhere near done.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    marvelous designer progress, its really cool software, I'm having fun making this silly character some clothes

• Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Going out lovely so far!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks Olingova, busy working on more of the accessories  at the moment in maya. Marvelous designer export seems to have worked really well, just a few small bits that need some cleaning up.
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    your patterns are simulating nicely, great work so far 
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks! I had to change the shorts a bit , they were crumpling up too much! haha
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Latest update, been working on his anatomy, clothing and accessories. Still working on the highpoly. I reckon anatomy is like 75% there mostly the legs need some more work and the mouth/face needs some love, clothing is like 80% done - needs to be shapes to fit his figure more and have some cleanup in zbrush. Accesories are still work in progress probably about 65% done. Any crits are of course welcome Im doing all this to push myself, learn new techniques and try to make something a little original. I have a to do list that Im getting through slowly whenever I have time to work on this stuff.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    pretty much done on the sculpt gonna start to retopo stuff now. By the lack of replies to this thread I'm guessing that nothing is too bad on this guy.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Retopo'd the frog dude body and tongue so far. I've tried to make it good for animation, please let me know if I've made some mistakes?

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    more retopo work done when I found a few hours this weekend. 
  • OutlawHue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutlawHue polycounter lvl 8
    Nice model,

Looks like you have some serious hard cuts around the shoulder/bicep. Are you still working these areas? I like the triangles being placed where the cloth wrinkles will be most acute. Cool character!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    OutlawHue said:
    Nice model,

Looks like you have some serious hard cuts around the shoulder/bicep. Are you still working these areas? I like the triangles being placed where the cloth wrinkles will be most acute. Cool character!
    Oh yeah good point, still busy on the retopo so coming back to the shoulder is no problem, this should work fine right? 

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    starting to get materials ready. Lowpoly is mostly done, sitting at 32722 tris

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    started texturing in substance painter now, Ive got 3 materials with 2048 textures in each. Its fun so far!

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    more work on his skin today this is all viewport in substance painter
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Great!! I hope you can use a better shader for the skin when rendering that boiii; a bit of subsurface could be dope
  • peterpan03
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Olingova said:
    Great!! I hope you can use a better shader for the skin when rendering that boiii; a bit of subsurface could be dope
    Thanks! Yup! I have the sss set up ready to go but the shader in substance painter seems rather limited. Im hoping to make a good shader for him in ue4 and do final beauty shots in there
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this weekends work, jacket shorts and other accessories mostly textured now. Just got his surfboard to go. Might try some other colour variations on those shorts and maybe some extra tint on the jacket.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Got him in UE4  today! been working on SSS and materials.

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    This looks radical dewd :D Awesome work, love it - that surfboard is great too.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Torch said:
    This looks radical dewd :D Awesome work, love it - that surfboard is great too.
    Thanks so much! haha glad you picked up on the 90s cartoon vibe (ninja turtles, battle toads, street sharks etc) but hoping to give the final scene a bit of polish so it doesn't come across super cheesy but I'm really happy that some people like it. Busy working on the pose at the moment and the wave for him to ride!
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    This turned out really well, got that battle toad vibe lol. 

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks a lot Akiratang! Nearly done heres a little preview shot, hopefully I will get time to put all the shots together well this weekend. Also did a fun little gif to show what its like in UE4 a bit better.

• dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    He's looking awesome, @Ged! Those materials and the environment setup are crazy good! I'm a big fan of the look and presentation of the water in that final shot. Can't wait to see the last bit of stuff you're putting together for him!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yo dude, this turned out great - presentation is awesome. The only thing I can say at this point is the background is a bit sparse, it would be cool to see some break up in the composition withy other objects e.g. Buoy, island trees, rocks, etc....although you already said it's a wip, so I'm sure you have that in mind :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Torch said:
    Yo dude, this turned out great - presentation is awesome. The only thing I can say at this point is the background is a bit sparse, it would be cool to see some break up in the composition withy other objects e.g. Buoy, island trees, rocks, etc....although you already said it's a wip, so I'm sure you have that in mind :)
    Thanks so much dGreenbery and Torch! Oh wow those are great ideas, I didn't really think of putting those objects in the scene, I just wanted people to focus on the character and making the ocean environment was just an extra I decided to make. Maybe a bouy would be nice but I don't want to spend too much more time on this guy and the dof is pretty heavy so Im not sure you would see much detail, might have a go anyway.

Also big thanks to the polycount admin crew (Eric Chadwick) for getting my guy on the front page! :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Get a stylized sun in there with shades  XD

Anyway its a badass piece - would be good to see a proper breakdown when he's added to your AS page. Nice one!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I quickly made a bouy today! It looks nice in the scene! thanks for the suggestion.

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Bro, that was feckin quick! Lol, great job 
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Torch said:
    Bro, that was feckin quick! Lol, great job 
    haha thanks! I was very pleased with how quick it was to make :D Simple shapes though so pretty easy to model and uv and then just baked it to itself because it was high poly enough, it is 2492 triangels with 2048 texture maps.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hes done! woohoo! The character and surfboard are 32770 triangles and 3 sets of 2048 maps (1 for character body, 1 for clothes and accessories and 1 for the board). The ocean waves model is 1 set of 4096 textures and and 19938 triangles. The bouy is 1 set of 2048 textures and 2492 triangles. The water spray effects are 412 triangles and 1 set of 1024 map. The background islands are just a cylinder with a simple texture painted on it and alpha. I'm really happy with all I learned on this project, about Marvelous Designer and Unreal engine materials, post processing and how to get more of the results I'm after. I may still make a video moving through the scene at some point.

Some quick breakdown of the scene, I will probably do a post on artstation at some point with all the models and breakdown in more detail.
    Here's the lit, detail lighting, mesh edges and unlit screens in unreal engine

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Love it 🤘🤘🤘
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive just posted a big breakdown of all the assets and some of the materials on my artstation. Heres a few of the pics I uploaded but to see more go to my artstation https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rR93YJ