Home General Discussion

Folding Knife ?Contest?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
Hi there, Its been forever. I skulk and stalk but last log was like 10yrs ago. After my vid games failed, I jumped around a bit using CAD and freelancing as we do,  then 4yrs ago I decided to be a knife maker. 

I was thinking- would you be interested in having a contest where you guys design a folding knife, then I make the winners knife? blah blah fine print about size materials and how it would take me about 2months to make the knife and such and such. 

here is my current work: https://www.instagram.com/solidsteelworks/?hl=en

if not all good, if deleted, also all good. thanks for being cool polycount. appreciate ya. 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Hell yeah, I'd like that. Just a question of whether or not I'll have time. 

I really like Spiderco knive's design. Both for functionality and for the simple, elegant style. Looks like a lot of your products are much more stylized than that so I may not stand a chance if I stick to totally traditional stuff, but I think it'd still be fun.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    that's pretty cool, you might want to get in contact with an admin if you'd like to run it as an actual contest (for some publicity)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    That would be really cool! I'd be worried about the winning knife being impractical, mechanically illogical, or just plain old too difficult to make, but looking through your knives, you seem to have some pretty unique and bizarre designs, so I think I'm worrying for nothing.

That would be the coolest contest prize.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'm very much intrigued. 

It'd probably help to have mechanical restrictions explained as part of the brief and also there's probably a few legal issues to consider - the UK has pissy knife rules and I imagine the same is true of other places.