Home Career & Education

Adventures in Royalty/Post-Launch Compensation Projects

DGB
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DGB polycounter lvl 7
Currently helping a small team get a project off the ground. I've worked on a few royalty projects in the past, though before I'd never involved myself much in laying the groundwork for development or in the recruiting process.
Below are a few questions for those who have worked on successful royalty/post-launch compensation projects. Feel free to answer only one or two, any experiences or insights you can share are appreciated.

-What did you do to attract and retain 2D and 3D artists throughout the course of development?

-How much time typically elapsed between posting for a specific role and bringing on an artist?

-Did you recruit locally offline as well and if so did you have more success than recruiting online?

-How did you handle morale and workload challenges resulting from sudden departures from your team?

-How did you communicate with your team throughout the project? Did you use specific collaboration platforms like Trello or did you rely on simpler methods like email and google docs?

-How well did you know the members of your team? Had you worked with them before on previous projects and had you met/worked with them offline as  well?

-How large was your team and how much did the number of team members change throughout the project?

-To artists: what things did you look for when deciding whether or not to work with a particular team?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't done or considered this type of work in a very long time. Back when I did we just called it modding, and the good projects I worked on didn't have any delusions of grandeur or pretense that we were going to make a retail game or start a company (though of course, 1/10,000 or so projects did get pretty big). We did it because it was fun, and the fun aspect is a huge draw for contributors in these sorts of projects. Most people who would be good to work with (talented, experienced) will be extremely skeptical of this. I have nothing personal against you, but from reading your post my assumption is that you have no idea what you are doing. I do not say this to insult you, but simply to make you aware of how these things are generally perceived.

So my advice would be, be honest with yourself. Is your project something that has a legitimate chance to be a real product? Have you done market research that supports the viability of the product? Do you have the sort of professional production and management experience required to see a project through from start to completion? If so, use your savings to put together a prototype aka vertical slice, get a business plan together and consider getting a loan to get started and/or going the kickstarter route.

If you can't or are not willing do any of the above, you're not serious about it and/or have not really thought it through. In this case you should not pretend like you're making a real game. Start your project and make it very clear that it is for fun/experience, do not treat it like a job. Do not make people sign NDAs, have them do weekly tasks, or fill out time sheets or anything else like it is a job. This will kill all of the desirable aspects of this sort of project for anyone has the sort of talent required to create something compelling.

The best thing you can do to recruit for this sort of project is to have a compelling idea / style / hook of some sort. What is it about your project that is cool? Why would someone care enough to want to devote their free time to your project rather than working on something that interests them personally? When you have a good answer to these question, recruiting and finding people is the easy part. If you can't answer these questions, you need to go back to the drawing board.

Keeping the scope very specific and very small is a good way to approach these sort of projects as well. Nobody wants to work on a freetime project that is impossibly complex or overwhelming.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another helpful exercise would be to sit down and figure out what your goals are and what you want out of the project.

For instance, are you really trying to make a commercial product?

or

Are you looking for a chance to work in a more structured way with a team or group of people who will help to push your quality of work to a level where your portfolio would be good enough to get a job?

These are two very different things and should be approached in different ways.

• DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    I appreciate your in-depth response. I think your post along with some of my recent research confirms my thoughts about long-term development with regards to royalty games.

Personally I've had better luck with contract work limited to the scope of individual models. For that reason I never
    involved myself much with design or management of others' projects before. The royalty projects I've worked on in the past suffered from scope creep and got shelved or else development was put on hold.

After thinking about it, I may be overstepping my personal boundaries if I involve myself in the project too far beyond my capacity as an artist. In my first few projects, some of the project leads/clients didn't have a background in 3D or development so it took me a few years to reign in my "I can help out with this too" instinct and admittedly, I still have a ways to go. The design groundwork for this project is still being laid right now so as an artist there's little for me to do at this point, though maybe that's for the best.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Only project like this that wasn't a waste of time for me was when I started helping a solo developer who was 90% done with his game and just needed some art. I'm still working on this one, but the reason I already know it's not a waste of time is because I've been learning a ton from it and having fun. I'm getting work done that will directly benefit my own future interest. 

I think that's the key -- that the project helps you in ways that you want. If you get involved with a project and you start having to do stuff that you know you won't use again -- as soon as you lose faith that other people aren't putting out, or there's a lack of leadership, or whatever, you're going to start feeling like you could be using your time more wisely. 

Tried to work with a couple of other groups, and it just doesn't work out for a million reasons. Without money and structure, it's unlikely you'll get anything meaningful done. 

However, working on an actual game has been the biggest learning experience for me as a beginning artist thus far. I'd highly recommend it. So, like already said, getting involved with some modders might be a great idea if you want to do something a bit more than personal portfolio projects, but not get invested in something that will waste your energy and leave you feeling cynical.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think managing scope is really key here. The smaller the focus is and the smaller the team, I think the more likely this sort of project can be not only fun, but fruitful. If you have a small group of people dedicated to a clear and manageable goal, you can do some great stuff.

When it gets to recruiting and putting together a team and all that, that's usually a red flag.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Yeah keep it focused and do as much as you can yourself first so you have something to show, no one likes an idea man without any actual  development skills.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    DGB said:
     for those who have worked on successful royalty/post-launch compensation projects
    Yes - all of you, please pipe up. The rest of us are real curious.