Home Unreal Engine

Best VR Space design to showcase examples?

rFranks
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
rFranks polycounter lvl 2
Hi there I work for a university and we're looking to create a 10m x 5m physical space to showcase our VR Vive learning resource examples that we've created for our academics to try out. I was wondering how other's setup their rooms for demos including things like where do you keep you hardware in relation to the room (eg laptop the VR is connected to), do you keep your base stations fixed or on tripods, do you use a tv monitor to see what the VR user is seeing, do you use foldup funky furniture, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    The way that I've got it setup in my home is that the base stations are mounted to the corners of the room via small 3d printed mounts, allowing for a top down view from the base stations so that I don't lose tracking from high or low gestures. I've got a total of 3 in the room two in the front corners one in the middle rear wall. (I haven't gotten the 4th to allow for all corners yet).

My tv is mounted to the wall that would be the front of the room with laptop/tower on the floor just below it with a small table over the tower for keyboard/mouse and space to hang the headset. 

Sometimes I bring my futon in the middle of the room if I want to have a sit. I wouldn't use any furniture that isn't heavy or secure in some fashion. Especially if I have the intention of interacting with the furniture during the VR experience. I say this because if you expect someone to sit while using the headset at the same time you want the most sturdy thing to sit on from all angles possible. No one wants to be blindfolded and told to sit in a white plastic lawn chair only to have it topple over because of lack of vision or bad approach. 

Those flat museum couches/ottoman things come to mind with VR friendly furniture.