Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Power Source - Portfolio preparation

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Parth polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,
This is my first project after being away from game art for a long time (few years).
I want to build my portfolio from ground up and up to the current standards.
With this project my aim was to reestablish my modelling and texturing skills, learn Substance painter, as well as create a portfolio piece.

I made this based on the concept by Danny Gardner.

Model was made in Maya, baked and textured in Substance Painter, normal map details were done in Ndo. Final render is from Marmoset.
I would love any critiques that you guys have on the model as well as the presentation, as I would like this piece to be portfolio worthy.

Thanks!

edit: above image is high res as I am still not confident of putting it up on artstation. I will post more images soon

Replies

• Parth
    Offline / Send Message
    Parth polycounter lvl 10
    More close up images and wireframe.

Any comments and critiques will be really appreciated.
    The big question for me right now is - Is my skill/ability good enough to land a junior level job in the US?
    If no, what  do I need to concentrate my efforts on?
    If yes, what should my next step be to expand my portfolio for getting a game enironment/prop/texture artist job?
    It would be great to hear what you guys have to say, since I currently have no exposure other than polycount.

• PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    @Parth Hey, Nice model. I'd recommend you consider some modifications to the metal material. Currently (and I see this a lot) the tiny rust-like height variations on the metal don't serve the material well. Consider removing that, or going all in and making it actual rust. Right now it just looks like a generic overlay with no real function.

Nice work on the low poly, looks clean and well done; thanks for posting!