Home Adobe Substance

[Noob Question] Heightmaps and rendering

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HammerB polycounter lvl 11
Hi, I'm learing SD and having a lot of fun, but i can't seem to get the grasp on how to make proper heightmaps and how to render them properly inside marmoset.
Just and example:

I'm creating this material of spanish doubloons, It's created with the new shape splatter node. 

It's still a work in progress, this picture is 2k texture, with the tessellation factor to 16 and the scale to 1.

This two are examples from Artstation, from Benjamin Thomas and Rosen Kazlachev

Here's the thing, I manage to get the substance into Marmoset Toolbag 3 easily and i set the material in a primitive created inside marmoset. I crank up the tessellation and i Start playing with the height. And here's where things go wrong:

First of all, PBR values are not the same in both softwares, not even close. But as you can see, I can't seem to get a clean result on the heightmap. It's all spikey and hard to look at even with a good amount of tessellation, Also the tiling is wrong (I have to put it in 4x2 to avoid stretching, but I suppose that is because of the UVs the marmoset's primitives have. The maps in marmoset are 4k.

I'm having this issue with all my materials, Either I don't understand the variation of presentation in PBR between SD's Renderer and Marmoset's and/or I'm doing something wrong when I build my maps.

Can anyone point me into the right direction? I cannot seem to find any help at all to understand topics regarding heightmaps or how to set up Marmoset properly to showoff cool materials.

P.S: This is a brief reference on the maps

Replies