Home Career & Education

obtaining Associate's Degree in December, need advice please.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Gustavo_Elliott polycounter lvl 4
So, as the title states, I am about to obtain my ASS degree in Game and simulation design. My desire is to become a 3D artist at a larger studio, I've dedicated myself to Environment art and have had a couple classes dealing with 3D in college but I've mostly been teaching myself for the past 2 1/2 years. My art definitely has room for improvement and I know that it is a constant learning curve and I'm learning new things every day but anyway long story short after I obtain this degree should I enroll for a Bachelor's focusing in 3D art? Should I invest the extra 2 years? It would most likely be free as I receive financial aid and have a GPA of 3.9 so I would expect to be eligible for scholarships. I live maybe 45 minutes from Bethesda game studios and ZeniMax Media, as Bethesda is the studio who first inspired me to start on this quest some years ago I wish to share in their vision of gaming and intend to apply for an internship for next summer this fall.  What is your advice to me, a starting Environment artist hungry for success? 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If you're living on somebody else's dime and you think you need more time to get your work up to par, keep riding the wave, dude!

If you share you work with some experienced professionals, they might be able to give you some guidance about specific things to work on to get you studio ready. I think the user here named PixelMasher has written an article or two with some good advice about how to approach networking and getting guidance from professionals. That article comes to mind because it seems like you have a specific studio and style in mind, and so you'd benefit from more than just general advice.

I'd suggest searching that users content and also similar questions to your own. Lots of has been written about this subject.
  • Gustavo_Elliott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not necessarily living on another's dime, college wise I definitely am, but I still have rent and plenty of other bills to worry about, I'm currently a self-employed Locksmith which enables me to live the way I do. I thank you for your guidance good sir and shall refer to this wizard you call "PixelMasher"
    I know I'm kinda just taking up forum space with this question but I've scoured so many articles on this same topic, it's quite nice to be able to interact with someone in the industry/community and get answers specific to a certain context, so once again @BIGTIMEMASTER I thank you for your reply 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You don't need a bachelor's to be hired as a game artist.

Though having a bachelor's opens doors to other opportunities.  I'm tempted to say do your bachelor's as cheaply as possible.

If t he opportunity for work comes up, relevant work > degree.
  • Gustavo_Elliott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    Ahh okay this gives a little more context, that's what I've been debating, I think I'll use the next 6 months to make and polish a portfolio and apply to some companies while I'm waiting for school to start up again and if I don't hear anything, then that's that, I'll keep up with my education and keep trying to acquire a position to gain experience.  Thanks for your reply Brian, I appreciate it.