Home Technical Talk

Sword blade texturing help

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Simon_____ polycounter lvl 5

i cant seem to get a nice looking blade, it either looks too shiny or like its been used for a few hundred years, i cant seem to find that sweet spot 

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    In cases like this I'd look at photo reference. One thing I can see is that your material is very uniform. If your sword was still in use it would have a line along the edge where it's been sharpened. And there might be bigger scratches on it from use. 

The same thing goes for the gold hilt. Tarnished metal is darker in the cracks and shiny on the exposed edges. This is from dirt collecting in the cracks but the edges being constantly being rubbed by whoever uses it. It also doesn't look metallic enough to me. 

here's an example: 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If the object is a game model, also be aware of how it reads from a distance. Most likely, a sword like this would typically be pretty small on screen, so you may need to exaggerate some details to give it a certain look.

Also, as you observe your reference, try to break things down into layers. You've got a layer for big scratches, small scratches; a layer for finish wear, a layer for light dust, a layer for dirt in the crevices, a layer for wear on the edges, a layer for oil, or a layer for dust collected on the oil, a global noise layer just to tie it all together in a very subtle way... if you build your layers all separate like this, typically as fill layers with a mask, it's very easy to tweak things until they are just perfect. You just build the objects history in your head as you work. What if the sword was very old, but the user being a crafty individual, was able to polish the blade a bit, oil it, and work the edge to razor-like sharpness? Well, the blade may still retain the deeper pock marks and chips on the edge, but otherwise it may have a nice, oily sheen and the striated, grinded metal look on the edges. 

Just got to make sure the story you are trying to tell is easily understood by the audience. 

Really cool hilt design, btw. 
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In cases like this I'd look at photo reference. One thing I can see is that your material is very uniform. If your sword was still in use it would have a line along the edge where it's been sharpened. And there might be bigger scratches on it from use. 

The same thing goes for the gold hilt. Tarnished metal is darker in the cracks and shiny on the exposed edges. This is from dirt collecting in the cracks but the edges being constantly being rubbed by whoever uses it. It also doesn't look metallic enough to me. 

here's an example: 

thanks for the tips, i'll give it a go and update it here
    for the hilt the material is a dulled brass similar to this

If the object is a game model, also be aware of how it reads from a distance. Most likely, a sword like this would typically be pretty small on screen, so you may need to exaggerate some details to give it a certain look.

Also, as you observe your reference, try to break things down into layers. You've got a layer for big scratches, small scratches; a layer for finish wear, a layer for light dust, a layer for dirt in the crevices, a layer for wear on the edges, a layer for oil, or a layer for dust collected on the oil, a global noise layer just to tie it all together in a very subtle way... if you build your layers all separate like this, typically as fill layers with a mask, it's very easy to tweak things until they are just perfect. You just build the objects history in your head as you work. What if the sword was very old, but the user being a crafty individual, was able to polish the blade a bit, oil it, and work the edge to razor-like sharpness? Well, the blade may still retain the deeper pock marks and chips on the edge, but otherwise it may have a nice, oily sheen and the striated, grinded metal look on the edges. 

Just got to make sure the story you are trying to tell is easily understood by the audience. 

Really cool hilt design, btw. 
    thanks for the help i'll do some updates and post things here,
    thanks the hilt is not my design though, the sword is Mulans sword that i am trying to bring into a realistic setting

• Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

started to change the blade a bit, i think the edge might be a little thick? 
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i think this is looking a bit better, still need things grease/oils and some dust/dirt 
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    The blade is looking better
    I'd put more scratches on the hilt - your reference has a lot of surface scratching.