Home Marmoset

Reflections breaking in Marmoset??

guitarguy00
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6

Granted this is with extreme gloss values etc but is there any way around this? Rendered in 3.04 with all render settings maxed and sampling set to 400.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're using local reflections the missing detail is expected. Local reflections uses a screen space technique, only what is visible on screen can be reflected, so the back sides of faces will be missed. This is usually a lot more evident with mirror like surfaces such as this.

You can try using Global Illumination as well as local reflections to fill in the gaps. GI has some drawbacks for this sort of situation as well, namely the boxy nature of the voxelized reflections tends to be rather apparent.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    It may not be 100% physically accurate, but have you thought about duplicating the geometry? 
    It's a technique used in games since the PS1 to do reflections before there was shaders.

You could also create another plane and adjust the opacity to fake the translucency/roughness of the surface.

• guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're using local reflections the missing detail is expected. Local reflections uses a screen space technique, only what is visible on screen can be reflected, so the back sides of faces will be missed. This is usually a lot more evident with mirror like surfaces such as this.

You can try using Global Illumination as well as local reflections to fill in the gaps. GI has some drawbacks for this sort of situation as well, namely the boxy nature of the voxelized reflections tends to be rather apparent.
    Ahhh I see. Thanks for clarifying. I will mess around with local reflections and GI. Can you let us in on new 3.05 features? Custom cage support sounds great :D
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN said:
    It may not be 100% physically accurate, but have you thought about duplicating the geometry? 
    It's a technique used in games since the PS1 to do reflections before there was shaders.

You could also create another plane and adjust the opacity to fake the translucency/roughness of the surface.

Cool trick actually! Thanks for that.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ahhh I see. Thanks for clarifying. I will mess around with local reflections and GI. Can you let us in on new 3.05 features? Custom cage support sounds great :D
    Not yet but we should have some more info about this soon! Keep an eye on the User Group: 
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToolbagUserGroup/
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Not yet but we should have some more info about this soon! Keep an eye on the User Group: 
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToolbagUserGroup/

Have been part of that group for months now :D