Home Career & Education

VISA muredered me.

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Doodlok interpolator
Heya peeps.

So I'm Korean and I study in Canada, and one of the biggest reason why I chose Canada is they so generously give 3 years of work permit to international graduates.

But being Korean I had to go back to Korea to fufill my military conscription, and our school let me take Leave so I went with it.

Now I'm done with bloody 2 years and as Im about to go back to Canada, Voila. Canadian Immigration tightened the law and work permits are rarely given to students who took leave of absence without caring too much about the reason behind it.

I still got 3 years of study left, and it kinda seems that the only way I'm gonna land a job in NA is to work my BALLLS off and grab onto a studio who might hire me full time before I graduate... but I just got sooooo freaking depressed as I just found this out. Not like Concept Art industry is blooming with employment opportunities even with the work permit : (

this kinda got rant-y, but this is the biggest entertainment industry art community I'm in and I just wanted to discuss my situation, well, with anyone.. If I'm to see the positive out of this, at least I'm standing on a cliff and will need to literally work my ass off.

Also, I've been keeping track of my improvements for last 2 years on 2D thread, feel free to check it out and rip on my crappy skills (They will get better, I promise!) :)

https://polycount.com/discussion/178177/davids-improvement-thread-cc-welcomed#latest

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Maybe this interview will give you some idea of what you have to do to reach your goal

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Don't you get your work permit after you finish your studies? What's the problem with finishing your studies and then getting your 3 year work permit?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Out of curiosity, how come you want to work in Canada but not in South Korea? 

From what I understand, South Korea does have a thriving Game Industry. Although when it comes to TV/VFX stuff, Canada does edge out in getting the big Hollywood projects.

Just my own personal opinion (as a person who was born in Canada), this country is super expensive to live in. I would definitely trade getting to work/live in South Korea if I had the chance. 
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @JordanN

Hey! Completely understand your PoV. Mostly because of the fundamental limitation of SK gaming industry and its shitty treatment.

A lot of game devs and markets in sk intensely focuses on exaggerated female or male character designs (lots of pretty girls) since console market in Korea is practically dead and majority of game devs are making mobile game to make quick cash and jump out. We have a thriving industry in terms of its monetary value and numbers, but we dont have a solid backbone of diversification of genre or AAA titles to carry the quality of games produced to next level. Thats why I wanted to join NA market, no matter how much shit AAA devs are getting these days I see a form of art in it.

Also the salary for artists are insanely low. Junior concept artists in gaming firms can go almost as low as 15000k per year.. and Seoul is not a cheap city to live in. Its almost as expensive to live in as vancouver except for its rent. 

Idk, Korea seems to be represented by a huge gaming industry and while its true in terms of users and lots of mobile developers, im quite sad that we dont have enough demand or investment to create something really original or exciting.. like what Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls or Red Dead Redemption did for me. Its stuck in a bad cycle.
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @NikhilR

I actually have to apply for the work permit after I finsih my study, its not automatic or guaranteed. And the immigration office stopped giving out work permits to students who took leave of absence almost without any exception recently, which i had to take to complete my mandatory military service.

@carvuliero

Thank you so much for the link. I am listening to it as I am working and it gives me the motivation boost immensely.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    What college are you studying at? Vancouver has a lot more game studios than Toronto by comparison. 
    Are you looking to go 3D or more 2D concept art?
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @NikhilR
    2D concept will be my main, but I chose 3d Animation as my major since I thought Id get the most out of my classes in that major. I attened Emily Carr in Van :) and yeah, there are quite a lot of studios here which is why I chose this place.

Still got wayyyy to improve, not sure if Im anywhere close from being professional but I just wanted tk keep an open eye for any potential issues in the future.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Doodlok said:
    @NikhilR
    2D concept will be my main, but I chose 3d Animation as my major since I thought Id get the most out of my classes in that major. I attened Emily Carr in Van :) and yeah, there are quite a lot of studios here which is why I chose this place.

Still got wayyyy to improve, not sure if Im anywhere close from being professional but I just wanted tk keep an open eye for any potential issues in the future.
    I don't think you'll have too many problems getting work.
    Concept art is a lot about getting noticed and developing a following, so that's something to look at besides fundamentals.
    Your work so far is pretty great!

• Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator

Thank you so much for encouraging words :D Im just gonna keep pouring effort into and see where that goes :)
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    With the progress you have shown in 1,5 years and another 3 years to go ..... honestly I don't see any problem!
    Don't know if it helps but everyone in this industry is (or has been) working their asses off.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Remember that there are a lot of studios in Europe in case you don't get a permit and don't want to go back to South Korea.
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @defragger

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I dont know what to say D: And yeah, I'm aware how insanely hardworking people are, kinda make me look bad dem :D

Thanks for the advice! THere are lots of studios in UK and Poland (well, CD Projekt :D) that I wanna work in, so I'm definitely keeping my eyes opened!