Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fishing Boat Model (Crit welcomed)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
medcalfw polycounter lvl 2
Hey better late than never so here is a fishing boat I have been working on that I still have lots to do
Modelling is being done in Maya
Texturing in Substance painter and designer
and its all being rendered in Arnold

Replies

• jamecz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamecz polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man this is looking great so far! Really love seeing vehicle models that aren't cars or spaceships. Critique wise, I'd go for a little more drippiness and wear on the words on the side of the boat. Everything seems to be a little worn except that. Also make sure to add some sort of weld onto the metal plate on deck. The pattern curving just throws me off a little and looks unnatural. I'd also look into modeling just a few more props to suggest that there are people working on this boat, fish, fishing poles, hats, wet bootprints, water puddles, you get the idea. I also think that adding a few more buoys and barnacles on the side would help tremendously to break up the flatness of the hull. 
  • medcalfw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamecz said:
    Hey man this is looking great so far! Really love seeing vehicle models that aren't cars or spaceships. Critique wise, I'd go for a little more drippiness and wear on the words on the side of the boat. Everything seems to be a little worn except that. Also make sure to add some sort of weld onto the metal plate on deck. The pattern curving just throws me off a little and looks unnatural. I'd also look into modeling just a few more props to suggest that there are people working on this boat, fish, fishing poles, hats, wet bootprints, water puddles, you get the idea. I also think that adding a few more buoys and barnacles on the side would help tremendously to break up the flatness of the hull. 
    Thanks so much man your suggestions helped so much, the barnacles was a great ideaa I didn't even think of it.
    I'm still working on adding more props and making the deck better,
    I luckily found a fish from an older project so for now I am going to use that for now.

next I am going to make all of my props more uniform so they do not look so out of place and make the deck look a lot better because right now it just dose not look right at all.

edit: just realised how the weld looks I will fix that to :D
  • medcalfw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some time today to work on the main deck and I think it looks a lot better but there is still lots to do to make it all fit together

• medcalfw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres today's update one the boat

• medcalfw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the most recent work on the boat, now i have got everything unwrapped and a base texture on all of the assets now i am going round to clean everything up and make it all look like its meant to fit together.