Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WoW Zeppelin

alexrc
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
alexrc interpolator
Hi guys, I was looking for a new project and came across an old concept art from original World of Warcraft for a horde zeppelin and thought I'd give it a shot at modeling and texturing it. I used Maya and 3DCoat with Photoshop.  Any critiques would be great also!

Original Concept:
Image result for WoW zeppelin concept

If you want to see the process, you can watch my youtube series here which includes in-depth modeling and a timelapse of the texture painting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7aPJ2_zIU&t=119s

I didn't go into crazy detail mode for this with the painting since this was just an exercise and wanted to get the larger idea across while matching the concept. 

If you are new to hand painted stylized texturing, you can check out my gumroad ebook which goes into depth how to render very detailed materials such as stone, plaster, wood, metal, and cloth. In the book I show step by step the ways I've found for rendering high-detail textures. With that knowledge, you will have a solid foundation for how to tackle any material you choose to paint. 

The ebook is found here:
https://gumroad.com/l/QzALo

If you know anyone who this might benefit, passing along the link would be a big help!

Thanks for looking :smile:

Replies

• Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
    Hey @alexrc

It looks very good. I've noticed a few things that you could look into. First of all I think you should make the metal parts of the zeppelin darker with a blue tint. It would look better this way because it would add contrast in value (everything is of very light value) and work as a complimentary color. The second thing is that everything is too symmetrical which is a bit boring especially from the front view. Maybe that's something you could consider for the next model, at this stage the symmetry issue might be harder to fix.
      Anyways like I said the model looks good, keep up the good work.
  • Stefmon
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefmon polycounter lvl 8
    Yo that looks neat!

You seem to be going close to the wow/ warcraft 3 zeppelins rather than the concept. The Concept zeppelin has more velocity as a tapered oval shape and appears generally longer. Maybe it's the perspective (post a side view).

One thing I can notice for sure is the metal ram on the front of the boat deck. In the concept it's narrow and sharp, like a thinner blade on the front of the boat. On the model it appears wider, almost like an extension of the deck. It still looks interesting though.

The textures are cool too but feel a little too bright. Similar to what Svyat said: The metals in the concept seem shiner and darker blue gray (yours are slightly more matted red/orange/gray). Also The balloon's arching (the ones along the long side of the balloon) beams are more round with a softer shadow, while yours have a very sharp transition. 

Try out playing with exposure/brightness settings in Photoshop for the texture sheet. With PBR textures, changing lighting can affect the mood and appearance. With unlit textures, you can still do that, but in Photoshop instead of a renderer. 

Hope that's useful.