Home Technical Talk

Matching Perspective With Stylized Reference (Maya)

null
Offline / Send Message
awgebert null
Hey guys

I'm trying to recreate the Bar entrance from the 1988 anime film Akira, however, I am having some issues trying to match the frame perspective in my 3D scene.

Here is the frame:

Given the hand-drawn nature of this scene I expected it would be unlikely to get a 100% perspective match, yet I am still a little dumbfounded on how to proceed without any additional information.

I did attempt to acquire some information regarding the average stair height in Tokyo as a starting point but even then my scene is never close to matching up.

If you guys could give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Do you have a solid grasp on the topic of camera lenses/focal length ? As is : are you able to roughly guesstimate the kind of lens that this shot could have been shot at ?

If the answer to these questions is no, then you do have to study the topic further before even attempting to reconstruct such a scene in 3d.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    awgebert said:

Given the hand-drawn nature of this scene I expected it would be unlikely to get a 100% perspective match, yet I am still a little dumbfounded on how to proceed without any additional information.

I think it's the opposite. Being hand drawn means the artists already had a vanishing point to work with.
    I can see it from my screen.  :)
  • awgebert
    Offline / Send Message
    awgebert null
    pior said:
    Do you have a solid grasp on the topic of camera lenses/focal length ? As is : are you able to roughly guesstimate the kind of lens that this shot could have been shot at ?
    I did indeed play around with the focal however I don't obviously don't have the best eye for knowing when it's matching correctly. I'll try and read up a little more on the topic :smile:

JordanN said:
    I think it's the opposite. Being hand drawn means the artists already had a vanishing point to work with.
    I can see it from my screen.  :)

Yeah, I thought that might be the case after posting this thread. I guess my initial concern was whether the artist was free handing it in sections thus resulting in some distortion in the focal length. I'll try and paint over the perspective lines so I might have a better time matching everything up.
  • awgebert
    Offline / Send Message
    awgebert null
    Just a follow up on this thread.

Decided to draw some perspective lines on my image plane to make it a little easier to match up in my 3D scene only to come across some fairly interesting results. As you can see from the image below there seem to be multiple vanishing points, both of which are not center frame. 

Guess I can't rely on this drawing too much for the block out.

Let me know if I missed anything :smile:

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You can have more than one vanishing point..
    However, I suspect its been drawn to look right rather than be right.

With something like this you can pretty easily extrapolate - pick an object with  known size (steps are pretty standard)  and work from there. 
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Here are some examples of lens types per shot. I'd highly suggest you to look at photography courses on the topic - once you develop a bit of a spider sense for this topic, many things will start clicking and will apply directly to your CG work beyond just photogrammetry matching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MbKXsa-Ys&ab_channel=ImageEngineVFX