Home Technical Talk

Being a 3DSMax Plugin developer today [or why real innovations moved away from max]

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14

Hello,

Today I would like to share with you our experience as a 3DSMax plugin developer. And what does it mean nowadays :

I will share my analysis based on our own experience here at Onikanabo.

Than i will compare 3Dsmax ecosystem with Blender Plugin Development ecosystem, and try to explain why do I think that today Blender is leading innovations, and will continue to lead :

1. Our Journey as plugin developer :

Everything started back in 2014 when I developed a KeyHydra prototype with AutoHotkey and Maxscripts. I was the only developer at that time. [Developer is a big word as I was helped by lot of friends, and tweaking their codes, etc …]

So I hired Vladimir and hiring a developer mean paying him, wich was not a problem at all as far as development was usefull to me. Because i'm freelancing for Ubisoft Nadeo on their upcoming projects. And the more power i get the more juice i can provide to Nadeo team [so that made a blue ocean --> Keyhydra boosted me --> Client happy --> More freelancing missions --> make me happy and solidify the future].

The dev took 2 years before having a truly good peace of software, that reached my expectations.

I decided sell KeyHydra to all 3DSMax users that would want to try it, in order to decrease the cost. So we started developing a licensing method, and our own Encryption method. Because the one provided by Autodesk are well known over internet as being super easy to hack.

The more clients arriving onboard and thrust me they are not enough even if it increase everyday, the more we have to bug fix, and protect stuffs. understand here that KeyHydra is actually budgeted at couple thousands euros. [Started in 2014 with Vladimir and Myself, than Vojtech @Swordslayer joined in 2015-2016]. If i count Trademarks, Lawyers, Marketing, Website Devs, etc ... we easily reach the hundred thousand euros and more.

Lately we spent almost 6 months for bug fix only, on features I will probably never use myself. We also spent time in developing another licensing system ‘Nodelock’ in order to ease KeyHydra installation process. While we already had "floating license" system.

So yes being public start to be too expansive and not intresting anymore as a company.

2. What is it To be a 3dsMax plug-in developer nowadays :

-We need to pay ADN [Autodesk developer network, Hopefully first year is free --> This allow us to get our hands on Beta bulds, Dev sdk, etc ...].

-The ADN support is really limited as if we need something that is not really needed by Autodesk than we do not get any help.

-So it result in us doing lot of hacks where things should be super simple [Keyhydra WheelCtrl is a total hack]. And if Autodesk granted us the super tiny dev we needed we could do more awesomeness.

-3DSMax development ecosystem is really different from blender one. Max license is really expansive and people using max want everything for the price they pay yearly [and I totally understand that]. This result for a plugin developer like us of having some difficulties in selling. Max user do not have the habits to pay scripts or plugin as much as Blender users do [Because blender is free, so people agree to pay for innovations].

-Max ecosystem is a closed ecosystem so If as a developer you want to sell it you have to protect it. [Encryption or DRM] while with Blender open ecosystem there is no need for protecting your code or adding DRM because people know it is a free open ecosystem and if they provide you money it is because they want to help and support.

-Also developing for max, expose us to a big risk. What will happen to us if Autodesk decide to address what we've been focusing on in next release ? Exemple : We released Insetsg that is fixing and improving broken max chamfer. This will lead people to ask Autodesk to fix their Chamfer modifiers because people will be hable to say hey look those guys did it. Than Autodesk will fix it and nobody will purchase Insetsg anymore. But yeah we worked one year on it and spent money for that, so we're helping max in a way.

I see more and more plugins developers/innovators moving to Blender : DecalMachine, Textools, Hardops, FlipFluids, Pie Menu, etc … The list is long but here are the one I like and see myself as them being leaders in this industry today.

Today i had a talk with the team and asked if we should go DRM free, and Encryption free but we can't. Why should we provide the clear code we've been working hard on. And if we do this than people will probably share it with other friends that will never pay for. So yes we can't in max ecosystem.

But weirdly this do not scare me at all if we were part of blender ecosystem as i can feel there is a real community behind that soft, and this community seems to accept and understand why plugins need to be paid.

Buying a plugin or script is supporting real innovations. And this is why i think Blender as become the Industry Leading software in term of innovations. Today. And future is bright for Blender institute.

That was my raw thought and i hope it will start an intrusting discussion with this polycount community.

@renderhjs I would like to ear from you and tour experience as textools developer.

@Fansub Same from you Adnan even if you're more on maya side.

Replies

• ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    It must have taken a lot of courage to write this and I am really sorry about the situation you ended up in. I definitely agree about the fact that people are less likely to pay for a plugin if the base program already cost them money compared to paying for a powerful new feature in a free software. All I can say is that if you bring awesome plugins to the Blender community, I for one will be happy to support you.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ant1fact The situation is ok. Not as good as i would like it to be but that is ok. The 2 first year we sold 2 licenses and now we do have a couple hundreds of real users and all our subscribers from previous year renewed their license.

In fact i posted the same exact text [copy paste] to max beta thread because i think someone need to bring it to Autodesk attention. innovations come from crowds, not just from one person and if small plugins developers like me are leaving max everyday than that is logic : or innovation stop or innovations start to pop elswhere and today i have a good feeling with blender and the amazing people composing this community.

i have the chance of having really good buisness partnership with Ubisoft Nadeo so my life doesn't depend of software dev. [But i really start to understand why people developping more than script are disapearing from max radars.]

By any chance are you the owner of Penfinity Channel ?

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You said you developed your own encryption method, I was wondering if you'd considered selling that for other Max developers to use? I've heard, like you mentioned, that the Max encryption is easy to break, and I imagine some developers shy away from selling scripts for Max due to concern over such things.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool

Here is my story on TexTools,...

...Autodesk and how I transitioned to Blender

University days

I started TexTools in 2009 at uni after an introduction course in scripting for max. Been exposed to scripting in flash AS3 it was fairly easy for me to pick up maxscript. 

My passion has always been texturing and uv mapping as it was the glue between my 2D and 3D experience. Headus UV layout was a big eye opener and showed how great UV tools can be. 3dsMax 2009 until that point was pretty depressing with its UV and baking tools. Unlike Headus UV layout however we had the license for max at uni and me and my friends could use max at any of computer in any facility. As a result the things we shared and improved upon were the things that we had available at ease and anywhere.

From the beginning TexTools was always meant as something to share with friends at uni or work and the greater 3dsmax community. It was crucial to me personally that it was very easy to:
    • Optain & share: no fees, no drm no signup nagging
    • Install: just drag and drop mzp file into your viewport
    • Learn: animated gifs & youtube videos
    At home i used a non payd version because as it didn't make sense for a poor student to pay for something i wasn't using commercially. This allowed me to invest a lot of time learning the ins and outs of the mascript api and build the TexTools it now is.

After graduating in Germany i relocated to Australia where i worked as a game developer and technical artist. Again the company paid for a license and i was very happy to keep using max and write pipeline tools, exporters and level editing tools with maxscript. TexTools kept improving over that period as i was using it myself on a regular basis. Over time I was getting generous donations and even an email from autodesk on integrating TexTools functionality into the core of 3dsMax.

Autodesk & Licensing

Then around 2013 we needed another license of max at work but back then Autodesk taxed Australia 200% for the license with a dodgy scheme where they had no official presence here but forced customers to pay via a few sellers that they would charge that very special fee. That was reversed several years later by the way after a government hearing with the likes of adobe who did the same scheme  were asked to explain themselves. Australia has quite a few 3D CG studios e.g. animal logic, dr D studios,... and so this buisiness practice has been quite bad in the past for them to compete with compeition cost wise.

So as a company with studios in the US and AU we tried purchasing a license via the US studio but to be used where we needee it. Autodesk or their licensing system noticed that we signed via another territory and blocked us - lets just say that it was a very bitter experience that left an impression on me.

Learning Blender

Last year i quit that job as i needed a change. During my break from work i was playing with game development and it was itching me to do some 3D art again and i saw that as an oppertunity to once again learn Blender but this time more seriously (always hated the UX before, soooo frustrating).

But I did learn it quite well and it took me only 2 weeks in the end but it was a real eye opener of how great some of the tools actually are in blender. I had been using 3dsMax for 16+ years but I do think that some of the modeling tools are actually superior to max and much faster. Shortly after mastering modeling and other areas i dug into blender python scripting. I downloaded all the uv scripts and addons i could find to study them to then eventually start TexTools again - but for Blender.

Before TexTools existed for blender baking in particular was very complicated and peculiar: it was a lot was of pain to setup anything. Also while some of the build in UV tools were pretty good they were scattered at times in a clumsy interface so I streamlined some of that.

There were also other UV and bakin tools on the market for Blender, many of them commercial which pissed me of initially because i didn't want to pay for something i didn't know was any good or was only available to those who even considered paying for it which meant a tiny or non existing community to learn from or share with. 
    So TexTools had to be free just to prove that: good tools are not always what matters:  accessability is far more important for growth and reach.

Since I started TexTools for Blender at the beginning of this year have received some serious donations of hundreds of dollars of individual members already exceeding all of the donations i receivereceived for the 3dsMax version. I have also received pull requests on git git with bug fixes and feature improvements not to mention the very resourceful, talented and helpful artits helping me better understand blender and the tiny details in baking details, shader nodes etc..

As someone who does it for passion not money: receiving that much welcome makes you feel very special. Even my wife is more forgiving with my time now that i keep getting these donations ;)
    At my new work i already converted all of my coworkers to switch to blender: that's what passion does. We are all excited for 2.8 here at work and I can't wait to create more addons and pipeline tools like FBX bundle to integrate it into our work

My main takeaway with Blender:

Because it is open source & will always be available including older versions it is worthy of my time investing in it. Its not something that I will ever loose! With 3dsMax you get either locked in locked out with monthly payments and forced updates. If autodesk removes features or breaks API's and your addon doesn't work anymore you have to pay A$265.00 monthly  just to keep up. Its a different story if you work at a place where the license is ubiquitous and you have already some nice tools in house - but for the individualist I don't see a reason pay or use 3dsMax. 
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus said:
    By any chance are you the owner of Penfinity Channel ?
    Oh no, but I guess the logos do have a similar colour scheme :) Good to hear that things are still going well for you, I must have read your original post with a bit more pessimism than I should have :D
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @renderhjs what a journey! Thanks for sharing this, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PolyHertz No we don't plan to release our encryption system. As i told previously supporting a tool cost more than, developping a tool. Just explaining how does it work, how to use it, answering mails, etc ... Yeah that is the hardest par of the job on KeyHydra so adding one new tool in the middle would be too much. Sorry if i cut some hopes ...
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @renderhjs Thanks for having shared your experience. Yeah the main reason why i can't provide KeyHydra for free as you did with Textools.

Is because we are a team and i pay the hard working teamates that make KeyHydra happening + taxes etc ... They deserve that money.

This doesn't mean i wouldn't want to provide it for free from an idealogical point of view [but if i do so it mean i still need to pay the team while making no money at all to decrease the costs].

Being unpayed for all the videos, websites, Tech  Designs for the devs, & support i provide to clients is ok because it only cost my time.

But yes paying dev is real money out of my pocket so it need support from users. [Love and money ;) ]
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    strictly from a user's POV for blender the addons are simply dirt cheap, so picking up one, five or ten does not make a real dent to the wallet, it's like shopping groceries. for me this eliminates the need for trial versions. no maintenance fees either - through the platforms these are distributed on you end up as a customer for the addon's shelflife and since you have source code access, even fixing potential future issues on your own in case development ceases at least seems possible.

i have no idea how people make a living from this tbh. is the blender customer base that massive in comparison that full time addon development becomes viable?

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    yeah I can imagine that its not easy to get even with this kind of buisiness. so respect for everyone who manages to do it :)

I guess the main difference between selling to a closed ecosystem like 3ds max / maya and an open ecosystem like blender is that you will have a much larger (but also very different) possible audience. To put in some numbers - blender has around 500k downloads per month, even if you take a laaaarge chunk away from people just wanting to play with it a bit, I still think the numbers are much higher than legally installed autodesk licences. But I doubt higher priced addons would work here - as you often deal with hobbiest/amateur users who are more price sensititve than bigger companies - which you will find mostly using autodesk products...

Your tools also have the 'problem' that theyre very 3ds max specifiy - in contrast for example a renderer, for which each DCC app is just a front end to edit the scene. I guess tools which can adapt to multiple plattforms also have it easier to be sustainable.

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From a users stand point I can't count on plug-ins staying up to date. So I either create my own version, which takes a lot of time, but at least I  can maintain it going forward, or I do without. Which really hurts if there is a must use feature in that bundle of goodness that I really need but can't easily recreate.

Sadly users are forced to make a choice, lock in the version of max they are using and swear off all future improvements or drop the plug-in and try to figure out a way to move forward without it. Locking in  a version will work for 2-3 versions but eventually they release something worth upgrading or you get forced into a newer version because of Autodesks business model.

If a plug-in developer is still active, you might get an update as part of agreement made long ago, or as their schedule and level of interest permits. That usually is determined less by money and more by their excitement for the tool. Quite a few have simply gone dark and will never be heard from again.

I totally understand that people need to be compensated for their work and I fully support them in their endeavor but trying to motivate someone who clearly has lost all incentive to support something they once made, is an exercise in futility that can cripple a pipeline.

With the yearly updates for 3dsmax and how much they change under the hood that nullify plug-ins, it really seems like they're working hard to discourage their biggest source of innovation.

I don't want to make it seem like plug-in developers are unreliable, because it is the system that they plug into that causes a lot of that grief. It is compounded even more by varying degrees of quality within the plug-in community. It ranges from a hobbyist that is copying code out of the maxscript listener, all the way up to seasoned programmers writing some really amazing code.

To the plug-in developers, understand that I can't always build a production ready pipeline using tools and code that is unreliable, especially if the plug-in has an uncertain future. So while I may share the shit out of your links and I may throw money at your plug-in to support your efforts and promote the idea, I'm probably not going to use it, because I've had my pipeline broken too many times to open it up to that kind of instability.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Max user do not have the habits to pay scripts or plugin as much as Blender users do
    This is a bold claim that needs backing btw :p I'm pretty sure Max/Maya users buy just as much if not even more plugins than Blender users.
    Back in 2016 Maya was getting a lot of new tools and people from Blender/Max were saying the exact same thing.

Now back to Keyhydra, my words may be a bit harsh  but you probably know that my intention are just to help :

The one thing that always bothered me about KeyHydra is that up to this day i still haven't been able to quite grasp it's possibilities, and the first page of your polycount thread is a huge wall of text followed by pictures of virtual keyboards and giant logos that people really don't care about.
    Those who visited your front page don't even know InsetSG exists because it's mentioned nowhere, and Lazercut is randomly mentionned somewhere in a reply by swordslayer, which just makes it even more confusing because as a viewer you were just told that this topic is about a shorcut editor.

Here's a quick video i did where I'm casually browsing on your front page and renderhjs :

As you can see there's more spacing on the right side, things are easier to read, i get an idea in the first 2-4 seconds on what Textools does, etc...
    On the left the only takeaway i get is that this tool probably allows me to create shortcuts or something like that, and to this day this is still what i think KeyHydra does.

Same problem on your website, there is absolutely no clear visual cue about your business at all on that entire website frontpage, and there's zero description about Keyhydra, Lazercut or InsetSG.

To make things even worse, you barely mention how the user can get your tools, if it's a subscription model, one-time purchase, etc... and this on both the Polycount and website frontpage.
    I didn't bother and decided to click on the logo in the "Our Softwares" tab, but that opened the PICTURE of the logo in a zoomed window O_o why the hell would anyone want to look at that when they just want to install a plugin ?

And last but not least, instead of naming your thread "[3DSMax]- KeyHydraNext 0.64 - New Video - Lazercut : InsetSG 2.0 In Depth" which no one can decipher what it means without clicking, why not just stick to something like "KeyHydra - 3DSMax Workflow Tools" or whatever short sentence that can be understood on sight.
    You have an amazing suit of tools, don't let the marketing/presentation ruin them so easily.

There IS a market with probably hundreds of thousands of people who are willing to buy things that make their work better/faster, but you have to give them a glimpse of your magic on first sight in order to get their attention, let alone have them consider buying whatever it is that you're selling.

• Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fansub While i partially agree on some of your points i created this topic as a new thread because i don't want to talk about keyhydra, it is not the point here. I wanted to have the opinion of other tool developers and polycounters [this is what really intrest me].

To answer you : Onikanabo.com is the company website :  My company [The one that deal with Ubisoft not only the one that create KeyHydra]. It is not Keyhydra.com [wich i own] and plan to use [because i analysed the same thing than you so i totally agree].

We plan to split Onikanabo.com and make a separate keyhydra.com only website.

Things takes times, i'm not in a hurry in fact it is totally the contrary. I have decided to decelerate as, as you say we do have really good stuff already available. The synergy is coming, and if it need 2 mores years or 4 i will take those 4 years. instead of rushing, being exhausted, and give up.

Do the main menu in top pages of the website isn't visible ? Each parts of keyhydra do have is own page with gifs. we also do have a really prolific youtube channel [for a plug in company].

Keyhydra.com will come, i prefer focusing on development actually.

Ps : The real good point you made is that i should probably update the first post of keyhydra thread [but it will brake a bit the beauty of history].

• Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are real innovations in CG today ? What are the recent real evolutions we've seen so far ?

-Rendering : Redshift / Octane  --> Cross soft with special big point for Eevee --> Blender
    -Modeling : Polyenstein and Mesh fusion --> Modo equivalent do exist but the innvation did come from modo.
    -Sculpting : Zbrush  --> but see Blender as a good Mudbox replacement.
    -Modeling : Hardops / Decal machine / Decal mesh / Textools / Cedric Lepiller tools --> All blender
    -Particles : Flip fluids --> Blender / TyFlow --> Max
    -Interactions --> KeyHydra wheelctrl / KeyHydra shortcuts / Octopus --> Max
    -Hairs : Ornatrix --> Max [usless for the game devloper i am]. But have a look at recent researches made blender wise and ... it's free ...
    -Scene managment : Zookeeper --> Max / But have a look at Collections in Blender ...
    -Procedural Content creation : Houdini of course & MCG --> Max : But it need more work ...
    - Mixed 2D/3D animation : Grease pencil --> Crazy Real innovation --> Blender

My point is that innovations come a lot from blender and this wasn't the case at all before. This is due to a lot of real factors like.

• Autodesk and Blender Communications and strategy.
    • The way people can develop on these platforms.
    • The cost for developing on these platforms.
    • The ease of reaching the core of these tools.

Maybe i'm wrong but i think that there are no real innovations modeling wise from max since a too long time. And i don't see a lot of plugins in those areas.

To be honnest :

@renderhjs When i saw you moving textools from max to blender and pushing the baking workflow as well i thought hum i should do the same with KeyHydra that would make my life easier. [for all the points you pointed in your post]

• If i have no money anymore as a freelancer to purchase max licenses i will loose all keyhydra dev and all money spent here.
    • if i dev on blender i will obtain more help easily from community.
    • if i dev on blender i will not have to protect the code anymore because the ecosystem itself do not need it.
    • So hum hum what should we do ? As long as i work with max i will probably continue the dev
      and i still hope being hable to sell keyhydra to autodesk but if i fail you guys can expect to see it for free inside Blender.

• Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fansub First post of keyhydra thread have been clarified with videos and gifs.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Cathodeus said:

-Hairs : Ornatrix --> Max [usless for the game devloper i am]. But have a look at recent researches made blender wise and ... it's free

is it... (useless for games)? granted i have not tried this since it was a public beta in '04 or whenever but have seen it come up a few times in games work where apparently the groom results were converted to geometry (Ryse and some Ubisoft titles come to mind).
    of course nothing beats the HairTool addon for blender in this area. ;)

• Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @thomasp I still do work on Car Games mostly
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Ben mathis has a realtime hair demo in Ornatrix. It's actually a great system to set up the geo cards.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fansub Keyhydra logo on Onikanabo.com do lead back to keyhydra page [wordpress bug at update killed my meta].

@Shaz_Snow Understood.

There you go guys still unfinished but at least it is already better https://www.keyhydra.com/