Home Career & Education

Look-Dev Project

Ungureanu Serban
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Ungureanu Serban polycounter lvl 7
Dear Polycount dudes and dudettes,

I am currently trying to find my way into the industry as a look-dev artist and for my next project I would like to pick an object and try to match it as closely as possible to the real-world references. My struggle is that I am not sure what object to pick, that will have a decent amount of detail and contain more than a shiny piece of metal. For this reason I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions (photo references would be amazing)! 

What would you like to see, what do you consider challenging and interesting in the same time? So far I have been researching a lot and the closest I have got to something interesting is an old film camera, but it kind of makes me feel that it's an overused object that people include in their reels and I would like to try something different.

Thank you for your time ! I am waiting for your suggestions !  

Replies

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    can you explain what a look-dev artist does, so we can give appropriate suggestions?
    First time I heard the term.
  • Ungureanu Serban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the VFX industry a look development artist is the one that takes care of the texturing and shading processes.
    So basically, they are the ones taking a grey model (as the one you get after you finish modelling it) and you make it look photo real, cartoony or whatever the requirement is for the project. It is not that popular in games ( I never heard about lookdev artists in games industry), but is a quite popular department for films:D! I hope that is a decent explanation!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Texturing people's sculpts tend to be a decently interesting challenge.
  • Ungureanu Serban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I would still like to create the asset myself as I want to make it a full personal project. As my anatomy knowledge is not good enough I'd say that I want to stitch to an asset/prop. I will also attach a link to my reel so you can make a better idea about the work that I made so far :D
    https://vimeo.com/260618241
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I'd pick something commercial, like a carton of milk/juice with graphics, splashes, maybe some fruits (like peaches, with fuzz).
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

The photo real still life renders I think in my opinion convey an overall classical painterly quality, which initially piqued my interest since I've a penchant for Baroque and Renaissance Italianate period art/architecture. So other than a prop per se, my thought is perhaps challenge yourself further with a broader variance in material, shading and lighting techniques by tackling a partial or fully fledged interior of a similarly aligned historical setting?

Example Refs

• Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Pick an intesting props, with wear and damage. with metal part, plastic part etc...
    The best exemple are the asset from Think tank School,

I belive it's perfect to find a job as a surfacing artist,

Cheers!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    So, you want to be a texture/material artist?  If so, then start grabbing models and texturing them :smile:  There is a good amount of models that can be found for download in the Polycount Wiki that are already UV'ed for you to practice baking, texturing, and posing.  If you want to be a "look development artist" specifically, that usually tends to fall on concept art or lighting artists within the games industry, who also tend to work directly with the Art Director on finding the look and art style for the project.  For production art, look development falls on initial concept phase usually and then is followed by a lighting or environment artist (depending on pipeline) in executing that vision.  

My job as a Senior/Lead Lighting Artist is spent doing look development for systems and level content on a regular basis.  I work together with concept, design, and the Art Director all day, every day, on developing a vision that works for all parts of our team.  I do not spend my entire day dropping in light game objects and pushing sliders for color correction, it ends up actually being a minority of my daily routine.  
  • Ungureanu Serban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for answers everyone! They are really appreciated! So far I guess i thought a lot about making an old toy. The fun fact is that this morning while I was going to work I thought about a porcelain doll as well haha!