Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Chun_Li Character

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Denzil_forde greentooth
Hey Guys,

Over the Past Few weeks, I've been working on creating a Realistic Chun-Li game ready Character. I managed to get to a point with the her, however after getting some useful feedback from a mentor- I can see that my version lacks the iconic visual cues that make Chun li Recognisable.

These include the : Broad/ puffy Shoulders, small waist, short torso, long legs and of course hairbuns.

Because my 1st attempt at Chun Li didn't have these cues and she DOESN'T look asian, my character was not  recognizable as Chun Li. Furthermore, I needed to do a bit more research, I chose the Alpha costume and in which Chun Li is a lot younger so her body volumes and muscle mass won't be as big as the original.

I think I made her body way too curvaceous for the type of person who would be a fighter and I think the jacket could be changed to accentuate her broad shoulders. 

Moving forward I will be aiming to capture these visual cues to make a better Chun Li!

Visual Cues:

Replies

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    My 1st Attempt at Chun Li:

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    See if a sharp, 80's style shoulder pad will do the trick for the silhouette.
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
     Thanks Dude will do, like these bad boys (I joke) haha:

• mayash33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mayash33 node
    Good modelling... but yea, doesn't quite look like something that'd remind me of Chun Li yet.
    Like you were saying Chun Li is Chinese, and your model sorta looks like someone that could be Samoan or Native American.
    If Chun Li was a real life MMA fighter, I'd say she's probably a bantamweight (135lbs, eg. Ronda Rousey, Meisha Tate). Your model looks more like someone that fights at lightweight or welterweight (155lbs and 170lbs, respectively).

Sounds like you already know everything I just listed though. I will say you got the legs right. Chun Li's got treetrunk legs; they could be a little thinner in your model, but I can tell you noticed that as one of her defining features especially since her special move involves them. It's gonna be quite the challenge fixing these issues... cause it looks like you'd be better of just starting from scratch, which isn't a bad thing... cause if you did start again you'd probably get right to where you are now much quicker, and your model will look 10x better cause you've learned.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Nice start!
    A couple of things I noticed off the bat:
    Her profile is really long:

The spandex around the butt is way too conforming, which doesn't happen unless it was tailored and cut that way. The knees have a good amount of wrinkles because they are a high deformation area. The butt/hips deform just as much if not more, but it doesn't look like she has room to move when you compare it to other areas. It creates a bit of a disconnect of what kind of fabric or cut it is.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to more
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    @mayash33

Couldn't agree with you more  :),  you made some very good points here that I'll be trying to implement in the design, especially the banter weight stuff.

Thanks man, yeah I'm just gonna restart this one- I feel like I might save a lot more time doing so.

Cheers for the feedback!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    number 1 rule of Chun-Li:
    She's chinese.
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Hey Folks, some updates to Chun Li: I've raised the pelvis and elongated the legs, as well as giving her stronger calves. I've given her a smaller waist and broadened the shoulders. I've exaggerated a few elements like the calves, the quads the iliac region and the shoulders to fit:

I'm using Reika Saiki and Angela Lee for reference:

Related image

I've still got a way to go with this, but i much prefer these proportions to the ones that I had. Feel free to comment where you think I can improve. :)
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    @Alemja
    Hey Dude, 

Thanks for pointing that out for me, yeah I'll be doing a pass after I get proportions right and I';ll fix these issues you mentioned up.

Appreciate the heads up!
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Body Change:

I've made some  more adjustments to Chun Li's Volumes. Hopefully this should look a tad more realistic than my last update.  Now her, broad shoulders, small waist, long legs, short torso and thick quads are more obvious. I might have made her bum a little too big but I figured since her thighs were so big it would make sense to keep it in proportion to maintain balance.

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Clothing Block out: 

I've started blocking in the clothes for the new body volumes for Chun Li. I had to go through some iterations to get the right shapes that I wanted. At one point I wanted to change the Jacket design but I feel like the bomber jacket look worked so I stuck with it. There's still a lot of cleanup neede but it's nice to see the character slowly come together.

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    That's an impressive improvement in the proportions, nice rework!
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    haha man I really dig this. nice stuff
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Clothing Retop and Colour Design

Now that I've retopologized the jacket and jumpsuit from Marvelous designer, I could start playing with shapes and colours for her design, and where I would be adding additional details.

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Detail Pass Phase 1 

These few weeks have been a bit on the hectic side, so not been as active, but I started chipping away clean up the fabrics and her face.

• dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    It's been really cool seeing your process and updates with her, @Denzil_forde! The model is looking great and her anatomical details are crazy good (those knees!). I think her torso might be a little long and this makes her legs look a little shorter by comparison. I don't think you really need to change anything about her proportions, but I thought it could help push that Chun-Li aesthetic a little further if you wanted to give it a try. It would also give a chance for more visual interest in the silhouette by popping out those obliques a little more.

I tried to show what I was thinking with this paint-over:

Whatever you do, she's looking terrific and I can't wait to see how the rest of the character comes along. The face is coming out better with each update!
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    @dGreenberg

Hey man, thank you very much man  :) I;m enjoying this one. Yeah dude I'll see to it, thanks for the paint over (very helpful). cheers for spotting this one for me. 

Thanks man, I'll be sure to post updates, appreciate the help bud.  ;)
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Polishing up 

Hey folks, here's my progress with Chun-Li at the moment, been a while since I posted, but It's been good to get back into it, Looking forward to getting her finished and posed.

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    More Refinements 

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like the work youve done on her face and the body seems more natural now to me as well. Looking forward to seeing updates :)
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking awesome~!

Agreed, the face is looking great and the detailing on the jacket is looking amazing. Can't wait to see her finished:)
  • ellakkaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ellakkaa polycounter lvl 4
    The face looks great!

I'm having a bit of trouble reading the material of her catsuit, it feels very thin at some points, and in my opinion a more athletic material would sell the design better. I'd look into athletic catsuits (think Serena Williams or figure skating suits) for reference.
  • Cordero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    cool to see how you improve this, looking cool!
    on your last post I'd say the volume ( thickness, size ) of the hair feels thin. try to see if you push the hair out more from the head, giving it more form and volume, it looks better or not :) 
    I also feel like the bone beneath the eybrow, from 3/4 view looks too pushed in, it should be closer to the cheekbone's volume

I'd also experiment with making the ear bigger, and maybe a bit closer to the eyes ( move them a bit forward ) check and see how that looks..

anyway, great work keep it up ;)
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    Its looking really good so far! I agree with some of the comments above but I think for me right now my biggest issue is that the face feels a bit shallow. Go to a lower subdivision and really define those face planes. I always have this up whenever I am sculpting just to constantly remind my self how the face planes work. 

Heres a paint over and hopefully it makes sense 

-regardless of nationality youll always be able to see those face planes.

for the nose always remember that the nose is like 2 tadpoles of cartilage that overlap each other. So even if you character has the button nose your going for here that indent will usually only be a certain height. yours is a little high. 

-for the mouth always remember you have to large muscles on the corners of the mouth that connect around it. these 2 muscles and there connections drive the shape of it. 

I hope this helps and sorry if it was a lot. Your doing awesome! this looks like its going to be a great piece!
  • DanNC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanNC node
    This looks super cool, and seeing it improve is awesome.

I think you've got it down pretty well. The turntable, for me, squashed any previous concerns. I think its a great realistic take on Chun-Li and once you have her posed/textured(?) it'll be a fantastic piece.

I am also curious, how did you get the eyes to look so good inside of zbrush?
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    This is really looking great so far! Might benefit from sharping up the ears a bit, looking a little blobby right now. Its really good practice to sculpt convincing ears. The face won't look quite finshed until then. Hope that helps :D 
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Hey Folks,

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated.  Apologies for the delay in response, I took a little bit of a break from the project, but now back it and ready to finish it off

@Ged, @v@vavavoom
    Much appreciated Guys!

@ellakkaa
    Thanks for pointing that out dude, I'll be going back and forth  between texturing and cleanups to the sculpt, so I'll be able to make a change to the suit if it still looks too thin once textured.

@Cordero

Hey dude, thanks for pointing this year, yup I agree with you totally, the eyebrow area needs some clean ups, will get on that and I'll play around with the ear till it looks right. Thank you.

@artofmars

Hey dude, always great hearing from you. Yup love the feedback, I hear you about the face planes, moving forward I'll be incorporating these points  into my characters. 

I Agree, I'll make those changes to the greater alar cartilage. thanks for pointing this out. Thanks man I'll give the mouth area another look into to get the right shape of the orbicularis oris 

Much appreciated you legend!

@DanNC

Thanks very much dude, as for the eyes, I was given the material by one of my friends, but for the iris colours I just polypainted.

@Lou_
    Thanks very much dude, will get the ears cleaned up  it definitely helps-  much appreciated man.
  • Avenger84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avenger84 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work the progress from the first post is amazing I am really liking how this has developed, and as a huge street fighter fan I am looking forward to seeing the final result keep it up :)

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Updates

Hey Folks, been getting busy with Chunnerz these past few days. It was nice seeing it on Arstation:

I've made a number of the changes to Chun Li from the feedback mentioned above. First of all been using texturing xyz to get those nice surface details and noise on her face.

Once this was projected through the different layers, I go through and clean up the areas that don't look to right like between the eyes and around the mouth for example.

Once this is done I retopologized the body even though I was working from a base mesh, I felt that the facial topology especially could use better loops. I used Wrap3 to wrap my new topology to my high poly.

Moving on with this I did the retop of the model, even though I was working from a base mesh, I felt the topology good be better. 

Still cleaning up but the topology but at least the game ready mesh is at a workable point now. She currently stands at 38k triangles.

Once that was just I just started blocking out textures for her, getting a rough feel of things. Still early days on this but glad to start seeing it coming through (ignore the double eyebrow haha).

Any feedback for improvement is always welcome :) 
  • marco_3D_artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marco_3D_artist polycounter lvl 5
    wow, that's amazing! nice improvements!!
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Jumpsuit design

A good friend of min, Blair Armitage, made a good recommendation to improve the look of the jumpsuit. She mentioned it might be worthwhile looking at running wear to see how they incorporate weaving and panelling into their designs. So I'll be jazzing up Chun Li's Jumpsuit taking some of the Nike running attire designs:

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Texture Pass 1 
    Hey Folks, This week gone, I started blocking out the textures for Chun Li. I'm digging the sporty look at the moment, however colours aren't final. It's good seeing it all starting to come together.

All feedback welcome  :)

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Texture Pass 2

Hey Folks, Starting to get there slowly with the textures now. Did a bit more work on the face and jacket. I still need to add seams to the jumpsuit and stitching to the rest of the clothing. 
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Great work on this so far. Was interesting scrolling down the thread seeing how more and more of a recognizable yet unique Chun-Li was taking form. I'd definitely try to get some ribbons into the hair to sell it even more as her.
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you may be losing some of your normal detail in substance painter. Check what your normal combine setting is
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Lighting Changes

Hey Guys, so after looking at the render mentioned above, I felt the scene lighting and camera settings were off a lot. the skin looked more diffuse than PBR.

As @ar@artofmars  
    correctly stated a lot of normal details were beginning to get lost. I loaded her into a previous scene and began editing the lighting and raising the contrasts. 

I'm using the tokyo preset HDRI. It will mean that I need to edit the Roughness map to these new properties. but it will be worth it in the end.

in the mean time I'll be working on the hair.

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Her skin feels quite flat and matte at the moment.  
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is my favorite Tutorial for texturing a face in substance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywhVkZBtq8 
    definitely bump up thats skin variation as @slosh said 

Also here is one of my favorite hair tuts using xgen 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/B5ea9

hope this helps, keep pushing. this is going top be a great piece
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Updates:

Hey Folks, so made a number of changes to Chun Li based on the feedback from @artofmars and @slosh. I made a lot of changes to the Roughness maps, namely widening the contrast.

4K View
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR4DbHed0z8

• Denzil_forde
  • Yerus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    Rotate the model, not the camera. There are black marks all over of unilluminated areas.
    Stunning model, Congrats!
  • wojtekfedunik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wojtekfedunik triangle
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Updates

A few closer shots for you to see her, pose coming soon.

• allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    This is really cool and nice to see how it came to be the way it is :)
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    This has come such a long way from when you started! Great job, really liking the improvements!
  • WaleedAbid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaleedAbid polycounter lvl 4
    great model man, so awesome sculpt and textures.. ;)
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    @allmighty_thunder Much Appreciated dude! 

@Alemja Thank you very much Glad you like it

@WaleedAbid Cheers dude, appreciate it a lot.
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on the polycount feed dude! this piece turned out great