Home Technical Talk

I need feedback / advice on this stylized character reference sheet

CGStephanN
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
CGStephanN polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone,

I'm taking the next step in improving my 3D modelling skills by working on human stylized characters and I would like some feedback on the anatomy of the following reference sheets. I have a list of guide questions but if you find something else that is off, feel free to let me know.

1) Do the arms and torso look like they connect accordingly? (Especially on the armpit area)
2) Are the proportions in the female character plausible? (As in, is she too thin or do her breast look like they're going to break her back?)
3) Do the eyes translate well between front and side view?
4) On the side view, are their legs curved enough or are they impossibly straight?
5) In their side view, do they look like they're balanced with their center of gravity or do they look like they're going to fall over?
6) Should the legs in the front view be more straight to make rigging easier?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    These are fine. 

Most humans fingertips come down to about their knees. Google "human proportions" and you are going to find plenty of standardized human proportions. But you are clearly working in a highly stylized aesthetic, so I wouldn't sweat the details. So long as people don't look at your characters and say, "what the hell?", but rather, "that's cool" or "that's really cute," or whatever you want them to feel when they see your characters.

So then, after you study standard human proportions and anatomy a little bit, you may find a balance between which realistic details you want to accentuate, reduce, or ignore, and so on.

About rigging, just work in A or T pose. Take things one step at a time.