Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Head Base Mesh Help

Hi I am new to the forums and am trying to streamline and improve upon how I create characters. So I am working on creating base meshes for a realistically proportioned human characters. I created this base mesh of a head and wanted to ask what others think of the edge loops and general poly spacing. I know I still need to work on smoothing out the lines and the eyes are there just for making sure the eyelids were not to improper.

I plan to eventually uv and create a base mesh for both a male and female body as well. I may also create variations of those meshes just to give better starting points based on different body types.

So I wanted to ask others from this forum to help give me some constructive criticism. 

Roughly 3700 tris including inside of nostrils, mouth and eyes. Has three triangles, one in each ear, one in each nostril, and 2 in the inside of the mouth.

Replies

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hi @TrueCooperAtion your topology flow looks pretty good! You could even consider adding in flow for the adams apple and SCM muscle to the sternum. From the front, the silhouette looks on point. But the side view, I'd add a few more edge loops to make it less blocky on the back side of the head.

Also the ear topology could use some tweaking, not sure how anatomically correct you are going for.. but here is some good reference if you are interested. Welcome to polycount, cheers (:

• TrueCooperAtion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edited the ears and added some detail to the neck.
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    @TrueCooperAtion Nice update! What is next on your plate? Going for a full body basemesh? 
    Regarding the Adams Apple, I maybe wouldnt make it as detailed. Here's the topology flow I use.
    Sorry for the confusion

• TrueCooperAtion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks allot. I will probably create a mouth piece next so gums teeth and tongue. Then create both a male and female body mesh. For the body mesh how important is it to try to line up loops with the ones from my bust? And how many pieces should I do the body in? Torso, arms, hands, legs, and feet?