Home Technical Talk

[ZBrush] Trim Dynamic brush issue

Hello !

I have a question regarding the TrimDynamic brush in ZBrush :

I am currently following a tutorial for beginners in which an instructor in explaining how to create a simple scene.
After doing a blockout of the scene in Maya he goes into ZBrush to details the assets. 
He starts by detailing a pillar made out of several stone blocks with the TrimDynamic brush which seems to be often used to detail that kind of stone-like objects.

My problem is that, when the instructors sculpts his stone block, his scultping looks very clean like this : http://prntscr.com/k9n768
While my sculpt is very messy and doesn't look like stone att all (i think it looks like melted plastic, i don't know it's just ugly and messy) : http://prntscr.com/k9n7gb

I mean, look at the result after he just "flatened" the first corner : http://prntscr.com/k9nb7y It creates a perfect little triangle on that corner, mine looks like the corner melted like hot plastic.

I am using the same brush with the same parameters (intensity : 43 and brush size : 35) and it's really not doing the same effect at all :(
Am I just a noob or is there something I didn't understand / did wrong ?

I've been trying to see what king of "movements" he is doing with the brush to get such a neat result but it just looks like his brush is making very clear and flat shapes while my brush is really digging into the stone block, creating little ugly "holes" instead of flatening the edges. I don't understand how to get a result similar to what he has...
I wanted to say that I am using a mouse to sculpt, not a graphic tablet (not sure if it has anything to do with my problem though).

If anyone could help me or give me advice, I would be very thankful !

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Hi, using a mouse definitely won't help your results. Try reducing your brush intensity, and make sure you have the same level of subdivisions as the tutorial. 
    You're really going to be held back without a tablet, though. If you can afford the cheapest one you can find, it will really help - You need that pressure sensitivity :)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range

I wanted to say that I am using a mouse to sculpt, not a graphic tablet (not sure if it has anything to do with my problem though).

This is your number 1 issue. Sculpting with a mouse is a nightmare. Not advised. I did it for many months back in the Zbrush 1.5 days......I'm shuddering now just thinking about it....
  • TheLazyScarecrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan @Benjammin Okay, thank you very much for your answers !

I didn't know using a mouse was a problem >< I have a ten years old bamboo wacom graphic tablet, i hope it will be good enough for me to do some zbrush on it.

For some reasons i can't see the amount of verticles i have. It's not showing on the right corner of the screen like in the tutorial ? So i dont know if i have the same level of subdivisions as in the tutorial D:

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Any tablet is going to be better than no tablet :)
    Not sure why you're not seeing the point count info, but that's pretty important to know. Maybe screen width is too small to see the whole UI?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Try resetting the zbrush UI. Likely you switched to an alternate UI by accident. 

I use the cheapest wacom bamboo tablet, by the way. Works fine for me. I've spent some time looking at the more expensive options, but I can't seem to find anything they offer that is appealing enough for the massive price difference. If I was a pro, I'd probably get one because, why not have the best gear? But for the student, the hobbyist, the amateur, the cheap bamboo seems perfectly adequate to me.