Home Technical Talk

XP-Pen drawing tablets?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Hi, my Wacom intuos 3 pen broke!! :-(  :- (
So I am looking at buying another tablet. So I noticed the XP pen products are more affordable and look durable. Are their products compatible with 3d softwares used in cg. Also the nibs, do they wear out pretty fast.I am also wondering about the newer Wacom products, how do their nibs work now. I gather the newer ones wear off really fast. I still have two of the nibs pacakaged with my Wacom intuos 3 left lol. 

Anyone using a XP Pen product with their cg work? How are their products compared to Wacom?

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The drivers for my monoprice cintiq knockoff dont work properly with Zbrush 2018 ( they've worked on other versions), with photoshop they don't like scaling and get annoyed if you arrange multiple monitors in any way other than side by side. There's been various other niggly things too. 

I hear the xp-pen ones suffer the same sort of issues - I image they're basically identical in that they're not tested properly and none of the major application developers bother to accommodate them.

Short answer... there's a  good chance it'll be fine most of the time but for the sake of a couple of hundred saved vs an intuos I'm not sure it's worth getting the knockoff - especially given that the intuos will probably last you a decade. 

In the case of a cintiq knockoff you're saving over a thousand so compromises are a little easier to stomach.

Fwiw I'm pretty confident you'll be able to order a new pen from wacom -  they know that people keep the kit for many years. 
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the insight, poopipe.
    The replacement pen price is quite high- equivalent to getting a newer and updated graphics tablet. I am also looking at huion as well. I feel the older tablets might not get support with newer 3d software and Operating system in the coming years so maybe get an updated one.

I think they made the replacement pen price higher on purpose to encourage their users to get the newer Wacom tablet models for about the same price. :- )