Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio crit

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Drawmaevedraw polygon
Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post. 

Portfolio here

Wondering if I could get feedback on my porftolio- weak spots, stuff to take out, etc.  
Overall just looking at what areas to improve and if there is any type of art/point of production I should put in my portfolio.

Thanks so much! 

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Wow, I love your stuff.  Looks really strong to me.  I mean, outside of just continuing to paint and work on your craft, I don't have too much to add.  Course, I'm no concept artist.  Do you have specific concerns?
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    You have the skill just have to push yourself to make something epic .I think you should try something more complex or multiple view of the same object as of now you have single thing in the middle no compositing no story
    Second thing is your material definition , currently metal and wood and cloth all looks and feel pretty similar [you did a good job on the hammer tho ] + I think you should experiment with more saturated and vibrant color variation to give more contrast to your work -> some of your work look washed out and flat
    Third background and presentation , adding glow ambient light ,vignette and depth to background could really help your art stand out [good example is shield and the mark , shield look pretty flat isn't it ?]
  • Drawmaevedraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drawmaevedraw polygon
    @carvuliero thanks for the crit! 
    I need to bite the bullet and definitely do a complex piece 100%. 
    Yeah, the metal and woods all feel the same- they all have pretty similar spec and tone as well now that I'm looking at it- so I'll go back and change that too. I'll definitely go back and add all that presentation stuff, I didn't even realize how flat some of my stuff looked until you said that, now looking at it I want to change it all right away haha :D 

@slosh Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my stuff! Yeah, I guess my specific concerns lie in the "what if theres a huge problem in my work and I just don't see it" camp haha.  I haven't had a really good look at my portfolio as a whole in a while, and sometimes I feel I get a little to close to see the issues.  Its good advice to keep painting and moving forward, and work on my skills. I'll definitely keep on keeping on! 
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I really like your stuff, and ash Slosh mentioned, your art is very solid. 

Id say the portfolio itself might look a little generic and/or boring, its kinda giving of the "I wanna work at Blizzard" wipe with the props and weapons. that in it self is completely fine, but what are you doing to make yours stand out from the other blizzard style portfolios so to speak?

I think Carvuliero have some good pointers, but maybe you could try to push some more interesting ideas as well.

you could also benefit from grouping things together, like put all the weapons in one image for example. 
    there are also some weird things like you have two cart designs that are very similar, and also next to each other on the site. Id say either scrap one or merge them into one image as well.

your Paladins work is really nice, maybe you could try presenting some of your older stuff in the same manor.
    at the same time consider that most people wont click on the thumbnails at all, so make sure they clearly show that there is more stuff if you click on it :)

• Drawmaevedraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drawmaevedraw polygon
    @lotet Thanks for looking at my stuff.

Haha yeah, you caught me! I've always really admired Blizzard.  You're right, my work and ideas are generic and boring, I'll try to think of better things. 
    Its a good idea to group the stuff together, especially the stuff like the carts and weapons!  It will help narrow stuff down a lot. I'll look at reformatting my images so they can seem less like single images and more like a set.